stavros
"Who's Online" not updating correctly
  • 2004/7/19 0:09

• stavros

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/13

Hi all,

I have an issue with the "who's online" section of xoops.
it doesn't appear to update correctly. if i refresh teh site, it just seems to add another "user" to the online section, thus not giving an acutate representation of how many people are actually browsing the site.
whilst this is not critical i would like to resolve the issue., if anyone has seen this problem before and can offer some advice it would be veyr appreaciated.

oh, i am relativly new to using XOOPS 2.0 , so please be gentle.

intel352
Re: "Who's Online" not updating correctly
  • 2004/7/19 1:20

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

are you using the default XOOPS cookie, or the session option? (via admin, you haveta enable session to allow people to stay logged in for a longer period of time, it seems)

i've noticed XOOPS has been kinda backwards in this regard. i recently installed xphpbb mod on a site, and it modifies the session method, so i'm testing to see if it's more accurate.

oh, and just an interesting side note, i created a Who's Online Where? block, in XOOPS System. it essentially just takes the code from the Who's Online popup that showed a user's ip and location on the site, and puts it into a block. looks good.

fredski
  • 2004/7/19 7:52

• fredski

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/1/26

Changing the Cache for it to 30's has helped some people get round this problem

MadFish
  • 2004/7/19 10:27

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

I read somewhere that 'whos online' is not accurate when in the low figures (somewhere less than 10). I think it was something to do with a garage collector issue - it will still show people online for a while even though they have logged out. After a certain number of logins it will 'clean up'. It's not a bug, its just written that way.

That's what I read, anyway. I have no idea if its true...

intel352
  • 2004/7/19 10:47

• intel352

• Module Developer

running no cache on my site, and the who's online block doesn't update *where* the user was last seen properly.

i tested it with a buddy, he watched the who's online where block, i went to different areas of teh site, but it showed me still in the first module that i had clicked on. kinda pointless if it's not accurate.

i'm wondering if the xphpbb mod broke something further. lol.

great...

chapi
  • 2004/7/19 11:43

• chapi

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2002/1/22

Try the following: Open /modules/system/blocks/system_blocks.php and edit line 38.

if (mt_rand(1100) < 11) {

Change the 11 to a higher value like 80 or 90. With this the who's online should work a little bit better.

intel352
  • 2004/7/19 12:32

• intel352

• Module Developer

chapi, any suggestions for the More link? the javascript popup that displays the users, ips, module locations, etc. (the code is located in xoops_root/misc.php)

it doesn't use the mt_rand function. i'm really thinking it's just showing what's in the database, though, so it seems as if the db likely isn't getting updated the way it should (i'm still suspecting the phpbb session modifications as the cause of this problem)

Login

Who's Online

190 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 190

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits