libervis
Problems with upgrading modules!
  • 2004/7/9 0:34

• libervis

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/4 1

I don't know if this or similar question has already been asked somewhere, but this really does look as a real problem to me since i do things by the book.

When i upgrade to new versions of modules by replacing the existing modules folder of certain module and then updating it in the modules configuration it says it was succesful. BUT, i get the code on top of every page, above the XOOPS interface, and the font get's bigger.
Concretely, i wanted to upgrade news 1.1 to news 1.2. I followed the instructions from the upgrade text file which are simple (replace and update), but got the same results.

It works only if i completely deactivate and delete the module and then replace it in the modules folder, but that is un-tolerable way of doing it since i can always loose content and have the feature of my site disabled.

Xoops seems very fine and i like it's concept, but things like this make me go and look for an alternative.

Daniel

libervis
Re: Problems with upgrading modules!
  • 2004/7/9 16:40

• libervis

• Not too shy to talk

OK, when on a such trafficked and high responsive forum nobody reply's to a PROBLEM question for almost a day i would say that nobody knows the answer or see the solution.

Usualy, i am the kind of person that asks little trying to solve problems on my own, but i am kinda tired of it thinking if like if i ask somebody would give me an answer based on a simple experience.

I frankly don't really know what's the problem since i am doing it right. Maybe i need to use special update patch instead of downloading a new version, but then i am not sure about that eithe since i've seen no such update packs for downloads and there's a UPGRADE note in the complete new version package (news 1.2.).

Anyone knows something about this issue???

Thank you!
Daniel

ackbarr

well a search of the forums and the bug tracking lists did not list anyone else with the same problem, so it might be configuration related. What ver of PHP and web server are you using? I'll try upgrading to the news 1.2 release on my development site and see if I can duplicate this problem.

If possible, what is the url of the site that has this problem?

Mithrandir

It is not something I've seen before. Can you link to the site showing this error? Alternatively a screenshot of how it looks?

libervis
  • 2004/7/9 18:00

• libervis

• Not too shy to talk

OK..here is it:

Linux Kernel version: 2.4.21-4.0.1.ELsmp
Apache version: 1.3.31 (Unix)
PHP version: 4.3.5
MySQL version: 4.0.18-standard

The link to the site is www.libervis.com , but i turned the site off yesterday night becuse of these problems and because site is under development. Now i can't even login myself through that login box on the splach screen when site is off. And it shows the code beyond the interface just as it does when i update modules.

I was just about to put the screenshot here, but my FTP program (Filezilla) could not retrieve directory listing. Gosh, when it starts to go wrong it starts to go wrong..i hate that.
However, you can see what i mean by the code above interface when you visit www.libervis.com.

Thank you very much for any help, i appreciate it!
Daniel

libervis
  • 2004/7/9 18:07

• libervis

• Not too shy to talk

Forgot to mention how i can't login to my site. It's not that it doesn't accept the login username and password, it says thank you for loging in, but then just refreshes the same page.

All that started with updating modules. Firstly i tried to update news module and it went well only after i completely removed and then installed it.
These further problems when i wanted to update newbb forum to version 2. I added all the files to the specified directory as it was in unzipped directory's and replaced the newbb module directory with the new one. However, it caused the same problem (those codes above interface) and more to that obviously disfunctioned the whole system.

Daniel

ackbarr

it looks like your /language/english/global.php script is corrupt/invalid. Try re-uploading this file from the XOOPS core release.

libervis
  • 2004/7/10 19:00

• libervis

• Not too shy to talk

Thank you ackbarr very much! I reuploaded global.php script and the site functions normaly now..or almost normaly, i still have the same problem inside the configuration screens of newbb 2 forum. I am going to completely reinstall it and maybe it goes well this time.

However, i'd like to know how and why this problem comes out..i mean, why did the global.php suddenly got corrupted, what's the reason for something like that to happen. I believe you know why i am asking this, because if something like this happens when i got like maybe 1000 members the loss could be big, and i don't certainly want that.

Thank you and sorry for responding so late, i was detained.
Daniel

libervis
  • 2004/7/10 20:04

• libervis

• Not too shy to talk

Oh Gosh! There must be something wrong with either XOOPS 2.0.7. or the NewBB 2 module.

I deactivated, uninstalled and then reuploaded all the files from the entire newbb package to the corensponding directories (class, images, include, language and modules for newbb modules folder). Then i installed the module again and went to add forum section of it's configuration. It spits out an error because i don't have a forum category yet which is OK, but it's not OK to have that messy code beyond the XOOPS interface again as well as it is not ok to have it on all other configuration sections except in cases where it spits the freekin' 404 not found error (and i uploaded all files to ftp). Strange things, pretty frustrating..
It maybe has something to do with the fact that the NewBB 2 is still beta version. But i still don't know why i couldn't normaly update the modules in the first place.
Anyone had a similar experience with XOOPS modules updates, maybe particulary newbb 2??

Thank you!
Daniel

libervis
  • 2004/7/10 20:10

• libervis

• Not too shy to talk

Here's the shot of the problem:
Resized Image
That code you see beyond the interface obviously shows that something is wrong, and it indeed is. Also, i am getting 404 errors like i didn't uploaded some configuration scripts for newbb 2 while i DID!

Daniel

Login

Who's Online

195 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 195

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits