MadFish
Can corporate firewall prevent access to XOOPS sites ?
  • 2004/6/29 3:45

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Is it possible that a university-level firewall or security policy could prevent people accessing a XOOPS website ?

I've had reports from several trusted users that they cannot access our XOOPS site. Its an ongoing problem - they can't seem to see the site at all even though we *know* the site is up and plenty of other people are accessing it. They claim *not* to have personal firewalls installed.

The one thing they have in common is that they are all based at large universities in the US, the UK (Stirling, Newcastle) and Australia (University of Queensland).

I can't figure out what the problem is. Is it possible that the universities could have some sort of firewall or security policy that might prevent access to our site ?

Grateful for advice. Also, if there anyone is at the universities listed above - would appreciate it if you could let me know if you can see our website.

Simon

m0nty
Re: Can corporate firewall prevent access to XOOPS sites ?
  • 2004/6/29 4:43

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

it's a possibility.. i know that some universities definitely block certain types of web sites unfortunately..

especially ones with chat rooms and a few forums..

they could ask their IT dept. to confirm and maybe unblock a particular site..

wcrwcr
  • 2004/6/29 8:08

• wcrwcr

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/12/12

Hello MadFish

Your site rock?s

Nice and creative use of modules, congrats.!

i?m acessing from home, WIN98SE, no firewall.

Mithrandir

Yeah nice site.

No problems accessing it from Denmark, WinXP, WITH firewall.

An unconfigured firewall (meaning that the firewall blocks HTTP referrers and/or cookies from a XOOPS site) is not preventing access to the site, but only database changes such as registration, forum posting, commenting

Login

Who's Online

487 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 487

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits