tsrrmc
RegKeys, my first mod install.
  • 2004/6/13 13:55

• tsrrmc

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/11

Just installed XOOPS the other day and thought that would try to install a module as well. So I decided on RegKeys. Though I thought that I followed the Readme install instructions exactly, so far I have not been completely successful. I have searched and read everything that I could find about it on this site.

--------------------------------------------------------
"// Installation instructions //
Extract the 'html' folder into your root XOOPS directory.
Run the 'mysql.txt' file contained in this folder on your XOOPS database.
If your XOOPS prefix is NOT 'xoops_' make sure to edit the 'mysql.txt' file
and change 'xoops_config' to 'yourprefix_config' and 'xoops_regkeys' to
'yourprefix_regkeys'

Make sure to delete the adminmenu.php from the cache directory. This will make sure
Registration Keys shows up on the pop admin menu.

That's all you need to do. Just log in with a webmaster account and happy reg keying!"
--------------------------------------------------------

Ok. Did exactly that, meaning I dropped the regkeys html folder right into xoops(root folder), overwriting the original. Of course I made a backup. I also did the rest of the stuff it says to do. No problems there. Some of the discussions I've seen here say to put it into the modules directory, but that is NOT what the instructions say.

This is what I get: In the popup System panel, I have "Registration Keys". When selected I am taken to "System Configuration", or the same page when just clicking on the "System Admin" button. There is nothing on this page about registration keys. If I select Preferences Main-->User Info Settings, I can select to require regkeys or not.

If I set this to "yes", and try to register as a new user, there is a field labled "Registry Key". How is one supposed to know what to enter here? I assume that it is to be like other sites I have seen, where a graphic with the "key" is displayed and the user simply enters the key into the field.

If I understand the description correctly, I am supposed to be able to create the keys somewhere within the admin area. I have been all through it and can't find any place to do so.

Note: I have tried updating the system admin module. Even though it says the update was successful, it also says "Unable to write to main menu".

Hope someone can enlighten me on what I may have done wrong.

tsrrmc
Re: RegKeys, my first mod install.
  • 2004/6/15 12:25

• tsrrmc

• Just popping in

Thanks. I guess I'll just have to remove this mod and forget about it.

pballmama
  • 2004/6/15 13:17

• pballmama

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/3 1

Did you get this to work? I have it installed - it isn't pretty or perfect, but it works....

m0nty
  • 2004/6/15 16:49

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

when they say html folder the html folder is where ur XOOPS root is

it maybe htdocs on your server tho..

so basically inside the regkeys zip.. u have html folder

in that you have a modules folder

so when it says unzip the html folder it means anything in the html folder should go into the XOOPS root folder.. it doesn't mean that you copy the html folder itself..

if i'm right you'll have a html folder in your XOOPS root.. if u check that folder you'll have a modules folder.. in which case you have uploaded it wrong..

the files inside the html folder should be in the XOOPS root.. in which case the modules folder contents will be uploaded to the xoops/modules folder same as any other module..

tsrrmc
  • 2004/6/15 16:50

• tsrrmc

• Just popping in

No. It is still as I first posted it. Can you sum up exactly the steps you took to get it working? I would appreciate it.

I would like to get this mod working before I attempt another. I think the next one will be that of the tutorial that is found somewhere on this site.

Thanks.

m0nty
  • 2004/6/15 17:01

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

i haven't got the package on my computer to check the structure.. have u got a link where i can download it, and i'll check exactly what's what.. i had it installed and working on my XOOPS 2.0.5 site, but never installed it again when i updated to 2.0.6.

m0nty
  • 2004/6/15 17:18

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

ok found it.. here's what to do

1. unzip

2. upload include folder to your XOOPS root folder
3. upload language folder to your XOOPS root
4. upload modules folder to XOOPS root
5. upload register.php to your XOOPS root

6. edit the mysql.txt file.. no need to do this if u kept the default XOOPS prefix when installing xoops.

7 go into phpmyadmin and run the txt file as a query.. alternatively.. run this query :

INSERT INTO `xoops_config` (
`conf_id` ,
`conf_modid` ,
`conf_catid` ,
`conf_name` ,
`conf_title` ,
`conf_value` ,
`conf_desc` ,
`conf_formtype` ,
`conf_valuetype` ,
`conf_order`
) VALUES (
'', '0', '2', 'req_user_regkey', '_MD_AM_REQREGKEYS', '0', '_MD_AM_REQREGKEYSDSC', 'yesno', 'int', '0');
CREATE TABLE `xoops_regkeys` (
`keyid` TINYINT UNSIGNED NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
`name` VARCHAR( 60 ) NOT NULL ,
`code` VARCHAR( 20 ) NOT NULL ,
`status` TINYINT UNSIGNED DEFAULT '1' NOT NULL ,
`groups` VARCHAR( 100 ) DEFAULT '[2]' NOT NULL ,
UNIQUE (
`keyid` ,
`name` ,
`code`
)
);

then delete adminmenu.php fromm the XOOPS root/cache folder

Update the XOOPS admin system module.. and that's it..

in XOOPS admin system module, general settings should be an entry to enable disable..

click the system icon so u get the full menu across the screen. and you'll see the menu item for reg keys in the menu (i don't think it appeared in the popup when i did it)

tsrrmc
  • 2004/6/15 17:23

• tsrrmc

• Just popping in

Thank you very much mOnty. I'll give this a try right now.

pballmama
  • 2004/6/15 17:25

• pballmama

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/3 1

Just so you know, I have installed about 10 modules so far and this was BY FAR the most difficult to get working -- so don't lose faith.......

tsrrmc
  • 2004/6/15 18:50

• tsrrmc

• Just popping in

Ok. Everything seemed to go well. I now have the Registration Keys menu, and have created 2 keys for registered users.

When I tried to register a new user, the register key field appears at the bottom of the form. There is no key to enter though. How is a user to know what to enter in this field?

Thinking that I should have set it for anonymous users, I went back change the existing keys. When I click on "Modify" it tells me that "Registration Key Does Not Exist". When I try to delete it, it says "database updated successfully". The only problem is, the keys are still there.

I think that this was covered in an earlier thread, and I will check that out now. But if you folks care to straighten this out here, I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks again for all the help.

Login

Who's Online

261 user(s) are online (177 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 261

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits