talon39
Another Question about restricting News
  • 2004/6/5 1:39

• talon39

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/6/13

I'm sorry I know this question has been asked about a half a dozen ways before. But the question has never been asked quite right and the answers i have read just confuse me further. So I will atempt to ask a complete question and hopefully get a complete answer.

Is it possible to restrict registered users from submitting news, without restricting their ability to read news?
I tried to accomplish this by removing access rights to the news module from the group "registered users". Then I made a group called "editors" and gave this group access rights to the news module. The result was "Registered users" could no longer read news, while "editors" could both read and submit articles. This is not my intended goal. I want Registered users to be able to read news, just not submit.
It seems that with the exception of anonymous users, you can restrict access to the module completely or not at all. Is this correct?
If not, how do I configure it to accomplish this? If so, is there a fix, hack or update that I can use to accomplish this?

Stewdio
Re: Another Question about restricting News
  • 2004/6/5 1:47

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

The latest version of the news module will achieve hiding the submit news link and more bases on group permissions and such.

The current module is in testing and working well. You can get a copy athttp://dev.xoops.org, but some troublshooting will be needed to get it working correctly. If you want to wait for the official release, I'm sure it will be worth it.

ladysham
  • 2004/6/5 13:03

• ladysham

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/11/11

I would like to do this with any of the modules that have the submit function. LOL - a couple of the websites I am running do not want submissions from the public in certain categories.

Is there a possibility of allowing this item to be turned off and on at will? That would be nice.

However, what I wanted to say was that with the news feature, I solved this problem by not showing the news button in the navigation and then making my home page the news page. You can see what I did here.

http://www.chalcedon.org/counsel

Hope this helps!

Kelly Ling

Stewdio
  • 2004/6/5 13:20

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

Hey ladysham, check outhttps://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=20512&forum=17&post_id=89560#forumpost89560 for some tips on how to achieve this.

Cheers!

Login

Who's Online

261 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 261

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits