tedsmith
Customising An Xoops Web Site
  • 2004/6/2 11:21

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

Can anyone tell me how on earth one actually configures their new XOOPS web site the way they want it using Dreamweaver or some other web page editor?

I gather from reading through the site that the 'mainfile.php' is the key stored in the particular theme in use. However, when I opended it up in Dreamweaver it was all 'dodgy' Hard to explain, but not what I'm used to. I tried to get it to use a different logo file for example, which it did, but when I saved it and uplodaded it (along with the new logo) it didn't display it on the site.

Can anyone answer these questions? I'm really struggling to undertsnad how this concept works? I looked athttp://www.iis-resources.com/modules/news/ for example which is another XOOPS site and its amazing! How on earth did the web master change his site to look like that?

Any help much appreciated for a total stupid newb

limecity
Re: Customising An Xoops Web Site
  • 2004/6/2 11:49

• limecity

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/7/6 0

you are thinking way too complicated...

the whole thing is very simeple.
and forget about the mainfile.php ..
you don't need to bother about that file as long as your XOOPS is fine..

Now step 1.
Go to your system administration
then click on system admin
click on perference

from there you see THEME
select any theme from there
and submit then your site will have a new skin

If you have a custom theme,
copy it to your
http://wwwt.yoursite.com/theme/

(only if your XOOPS is at your root.

-------------------------------------

changing logo will only require you to replace the current logo in the theme folder

then edit the rest accordingly.

Mithrandir

mainfile.php is a php file with the all-important information about your site and database connection. This is important to your site, but has absolutely zero to do with appearances.

What you should look into is the themes folder. In there are subfolders with individual themes. Check out the theme.html of e.g. the default theme and also the style.css.

It is almost normal CSS and HTML with some few Smarty syntax tags, which should be rather self-explanatory.

JMorris
  • 2004/6/2 11:57

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

You shouldn't have to make any changes to mainfile.php unless you plan to change your database or move your site to a different URL.

The site you pointed out just uses a modified version of the x2t theme. Most of your modifications to colors will be in the CSS style sheets that accompany your theme. To edit image placement, and hard-coded features, you'll need to edit the theme.html file that accompanies your theme. The easiest way to change logos is to navigate to the images folder of your theme and look for the logo (usually logo.gif or logo.jpg), then overwrite it with your own custom logo. You may want to replace the default logo in the {xoops root}/images directory as well, but be careful of sizing as this can throw off layout.

I use Studio MX 2004 and text editors for all my coding/designing needs and I've yet to have a problem with it.

The best thing you could do would be to download XSAS and practice locally. That way you can tinker away without worrying about what your site's visitors see. Then, when you have the look you want, upload the files and new database schema.

You can find a tutorial on how to develop your site locally here:
https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=18687&forum=7#forumpost79519

This is all assuming you want to go beyond just installing someone elses theme. As mentioned by limecity, basic customization just requires uploading some files and making a few clicks.

tedsmith
  • 2004/6/2 12:59

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

That's great guys - thanks very much. That seems easy enough, although I'll have to wait until I get home to try it out so expect another posting later!

It seems then that basically, if I load the theme.html file into Dreamweaver, and then do whatever I want to it, then upload it along with any other graphics and things, I'll get the look I want?

If that's the case, then hoorah, and thanks so much for your help.

tjnemez
  • 2004/6/2 13:03

• tjnemez

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/9/21

hey tedsmith,

there is a lot to learn when you are new to xoops! i have been doing some customizing and i learn something everyday. jackj has provided an excellent introduction to xoops. go here:http://www.macambridge.com/dummies/

also have a look at my site:http://www.dcdezines.ca

please feel free to contact me, if i can help i will.

JMorris
  • 2004/6/2 13:13

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Quote:
It seems then that basically, if I load the theme.html file into Dreamweaver, and then do whatever I want to it, then upload it along with any other graphics and things, I'll get the look I want?
In essence, yes. You may have to edit the style sheets as well, but that's to be expected.

Just make sure you keep the XOOPS code intact. Working with XOOPS themes is a lot like creating a regular html/css site template, the only difference is the XOOPS code saves a ton of time because it generates the content for you.

Make sure you backup your originall files before editing them. I know this seems like a no-brainer, but the reminder never hurts.

Login

Who's Online

272 user(s) are online (169 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 272

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits