Malik
how I can connect links from other scripts
  • 2004/4/29 6:34

• Malik

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/4/26

Hi there,

I'm using XOOPS script on my website, but I only have very little knowledge about this script and I do not know how to make a module myself or anything like that. So I was wondering if anybody could explain to me how I can connect links from other scripts ( that have nothing to do with Xoops) and make them appear in the main menu of the XOOPS script? All the scripts that I need to connect are in the same domain name.
If it is not possible to put them in the main menu, how then can I put them in a block for themselves?
If you can not help me with this information, then maybe you know some good sites with tutorials about Xoops?

Thank you for your time.

rabideau
Re: how I can connect links from other scripts
  • 2004/4/29 12:24

• rabideau

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/4/25

Main Menu is intended to be used exclusively for XOOPS modules. You might try something like multimenu (or similar) to link to non-Xoops webpages.

If you want your non-Xoops app to look like it belongs in XOOPS you will need to use a tool like Tiny Content or iContent to put a XOOPS 'wrapper' on the pages.

Stewdio
  • 2004/4/29 13:15

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

A trick I use quite successfully is to use:

<?php
include("../mainfile.php");
include(XOOPS_ROOT_PATH."/header.php");
$xoopsOption['show_rblock'] = 1;
?>

The content of your original html or .php file goes here!!

<?php
include(XOOPS_ROOT_PATH."/footer.php");
?>

Save your files as .php or it won't work!

So what does it do? It takes your script and wraps XOOPS around it. I did at one point have Movable Type wrapped in Xoops, but I can't use it on my new webhost so I can't show you a more complex example, however you can see what I did to another third party script on my site if you go view the guestbook. (www.stewdio.net/guestbook)

Notice I don't have modules after the name. Thats because I added my own content. You can also see some basic html added in the same way on my ACTD pages.

I did this for many .php scripts and it's hit and miss on some of them. All you need to do is poke around in the third party script files to see where you can copy/paste the above code to make it work. You don't need to edit a single XOOPS file, just your third party script, although you can try to get a little more complex and create refrences to your includes folder depending on what you want to achieve. That takes a bit more work then what I have mentioned and is also hit and miss depending on how much you know about php.

Of course, you could always just develop a module, but I can't direct you there, thats not my thing.

Stewdio
  • 2004/4/29 13:19

• Stewdio

And I forgot to mention, that I use MultiMenu to add all my custom stuff to he main menue and such. You can find it using search here. If memory serves it's on a foreign language site, but the download are easy to read and figure out.

If all you want to do is add some basic html pages to your site and have them wrapped, there are some good modules for XOOPS that will do the trick. If however you want to add an entire php script, you will have to create your own module (extensive work), or use the PHP includes I demonstrated above (the shortest route)

What ever you decide in the long run, I'm sure you will find a solution for your needs. After a while, you will be adding custom content and scripts with ease!

Happy Xoops'ing!

Edge209
  • 2004/8/9 7:00

• Edge209

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/7 2

Which page do I place these codes in?

Stewdio
  • 2004/8/9 13:59

• Stewdio

*edit* wrong post.

Login

Who's Online

127 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 127

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits