domineaux
How do you edit blocks?
  • 2004/4/10 23:40

• domineaux

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/9/29

I've tried a number of times, changed permissions,etc.

Go into system/blocks to edit block template.

I click on edit template just to right of content.

A scrolling window opens. I can make changes in the template, but it only says view at the bottom. WHen I click view I get a blank screen.

Obviously, it doesn't alter the template.

--------------------

hsalazar
Re: How do you edit blocks?
  • 2004/4/11 6:18

• hsalazar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/6 1

domineaux:

Blocks edition can mean one of two things, or both:

1) Editing the PHP file that contains the functional code to retrieve values to display in the block.

2) Editing the HTML file that contains the visual structure of the data to show in the block.

Apparently you want to edit the template. Well, then please remember you can't edit the default theme. You'll never get "Save" options when trying to edit the default theme. You need to "clone" the theme, then make your clone the active theme, and only then will you be able to save changes.

Cheers.

domineaux
  • 2004/4/11 13:53

• domineaux

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/9/29

I was trying to edit the /templates/files.* as you mentioned, the default theme. However, I'm not sure it would have made a difference in which theme templates I was trying to edit the way I resolved the issue.

Here is what I did, without cloning as you mentioned.

1)Found the respective modules/moduleX/templates/files.*

2)Made the changes in ///templates/files.* and saved each file.

3)Then went back into admin CP to system/modules/ and updated moduleX.

Just because the editing is done and saved, it does not mean the actual updating of modules is done. Updating modules, it appears is a manual task.

hsalazar your posting is a good explanation. Coupled with this one, it should help Xoopers.

Happy Easter

kahumbu
  • 2004/4/11 16:16

• kahumbu

• Documentation Writer

• Since: 2003/8/23

Hmm...that would be one way of editing templates and putting permanent changes. But that would be going about it in the wrong way.

The default templates are uneditable and cloned so as to 'preserve' the originals, just in case something goes wrong. XOOPS actually calls the templates from the DB, thus, in your case, you had to update the module after you edited the HTML files for the changes to reflect in the site. Updating sent the HTML files into the DB.

That is why you have to clone the templates--to create another set in the DB that will be used and called by XOOPS. Editing the HTML files directly would be 'unorthodox' and inefficiant, to say the least.

Login

Who's Online

150 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 150

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits