Talis
Thinking About Switching From php-Nuke...
  • 2004/3/24 14:27

• Talis

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/24

I'm currently running php-Nuke 7.0 for my site/game project - but am thinking about switching to another CMS.

I just need to know if XOOPS supports the following - either packaged or as a separate Module:
1) Polls in the Forums.
2) A Bug Tracker/Feature Requester/Project Status Module.
3) Calendar module so I can list release dates and such.
4) Blocks that can be filled just using HTML.
5) File uploading with confirmation before being released to the Public.
6) Groups (allow specific access to certain File Areas/Forums)

Please feel free to check my site regarding any of these to see what I'm talking about. Thanks! :)

Talis
Re: Thinking About Switching From php-Nuke...
  • 2004/3/24 14:32

• Talis

• Just popping in

And I almost forgot... a Statistics Module as good or better than the MS-Ananlysis I'm running now. :)

Thanks! :)

Mithrandir

1) The buit-in forums do not at present have polls, but I know from a rather reliable source that it will be in the next version of newBB - otherwise (if you are comfortable with PHP) there are phpBB and IPB modules for XOOPS, but they require changes to the core files
2) Look for XoopsForge module
3) Plenty of calendar modules available. Agenda-X and piCal are the most popular
4) XOOPS got it
5) Downloads module - not currently supporting direct uploads, but there are hacks for it.
6) XOOPS got it

T-Tech
  • 2004/3/24 15:46

• T-Tech

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/3 1

I like this topic hehe (And if you know me at all I -have- to put my 2 cents in lol)

1. You know when you download a new module for phpnuke and you have like 20 diff files that have to go in 20 diff folders? Sucks right? Guess what .... with XOOPS its one folder, drop the whole folder in your modules folder and thats it! (Does the happy dance)

2. You know when you get a new phpnuke module and 9 out of 10 times they dont work? Sucks right? I have never ever ever had this problem with xoops! XOOPS has some of the most devoted developers and community members of any CMS I have ever delt with :)

3. Ever had your phpnuke site exploited? Ya that -really- sucks! Well my team set up a test site (xoops) all of default settings and beat the **** out of it and guess what .... still standing strong :)

4. You know when you first install phpnuke, you have to open this file add this line and this other line and do a bunch of crazy things? With XOOPS you click click click and your done. Took me under 1 minute to install with no coding :)

5. If you have a request or need of a paticular module or modification to make your life and site easier and so on, all I can say is "Ask and you shall recieve". XOOPS developers and community seem to always be on top of things and are always looking for a new challange. (One of the things I greatly admire about this community.)

6. I could honestly go on and on and fill up a database on this topic lol

In short, I used to be very fond of phpnuke, developed themes and modules for the system as well and so on. I just got really tierd of the lack of support as well as the HUGE amount of exploitable areas. Once I installed XOOPS there was no turning back. I have since created and devoted my team of developers to this project. We love it! The community is awsome! The XOOPS team are SO devoted to the project. As for support ... take a look around this site, you will find page, after page, after page, of help documents, members helping members and so on. I give up most respect to the XOOPS project and to all who are involved.

Phew, after all that I suppose I could have just said "Just use it!" lol

Talis
  • 2004/3/24 19:57

• Talis

• Just popping in

OK - I'm sold - I'll start setting stuff up on my testing server tonight so I can just upload the whole kit-n-kaboodle in one swoop to the host.

I've gone and found the other Modules that I asked about before but I am unable to locate a Statistics and the Bug Tracker/Feature Requester/Project Status ones. Does anyone have any particular names of Modules that might suit my needs?

Talis
  • 2004/3/24 20:00

• Talis

• Just popping in

Oh wait - when he said to look for the XoopsForge Module - I thought that was a Separate site to find other modules.

I went ahead and pulled the actual module. :)

My Bad

Talis
  • 2004/3/24 20:34

• Talis

• Just popping in

One more question and I'll leave everyone alone until after I get the system installed...

I suppose it would be too much to hope that there would already be a 'Chronicles' theme available like I'm already running on my site.

Mithrandir

I think so, yes.
However, if you have some time before you need it, send the phpNuke theme to mithrandir at web-udvikling.dk and I'll see if I can find the time to do a conversion.

Talis
  • 2004/3/25 4:08

• Talis

• Just popping in

That would be Fantastic! I love the theme and it fits my game to a tee. :)

It's on it's way...

Phasma
  • 2004/3/25 4:51

• Phasma

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/29

If you want I can do the conversion, I have plenty of time on my hands. Just send the file to phasma.shadow@earthlink.net

Login

Who's Online

177 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 177

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits