Daigoro
Possible problem in databasefactory.php ??
  • 2004/3/4 12:14

• Daigoro

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/7/3 2

Hi,

Since I've upgraded to 2.0.6 I've seen the below error a number of times:

This page cannot be displayed due to an internal error.

If 
you are the administrator of this siteplease visit the XOOPS Troubleshooting Page for assistance.

Error [Xoops]: Unable to connect to database in file class/database/databasefactory.php line 34

I've even seen it when trying to access xoops.org - usualy a page reload (or two) will allow me to see the page.

Could this be a code glitch, or just the database getting swamped with requests?
Since reloading often fixes the problem, perhaps some more retries will fix the problem?

Mithrandir
Re: Possible problem in databasefactory.php ??

My bet is on the database connection being too slow - or swarmed with requests.

mattm
  • 2004/3/26 22:18

• mattm

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/8 2

I'm getting the same errors as well plus occasional "page cannot be displayed" errors which seem to resolve after about 10 to 15 seconds of refreshing. Is there any way this could be attributed to XOOPS code? I'm not looking for ways to blame XOOPS - just making sure the theory of poor sever performance is really the most likely culprit before I start considering such drastic moves as changing web hosts.

Daigoro
  • 2004/3/28 13:00

• Daigoro

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/7/3 2

I've noticed that there usualy is alot of activity on the server, and database server when I get this error. However, I'm not able to do an actual stress test (I only use servers provided by others.)
One way to test it, would be to setup your own server for both php and database - each on a seperate computer - and try to stress the network connection to them one at a time. Pinging with huge packets thru a slow hub is usualy quiet effective.
Perhaps somebody else - with the setup in place - could perform this test?

Regards,
Daigoro

rabideau
  • 2004/3/28 14:04

• rabideau

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/4/25

I, too, have received the error message. When I contacted my host, they confirmed a problem on their end and resolved the situation.

I know that this type of vague response doesn't help much... just another data point, one that seems to point away from Xoops.

mattm
  • 2004/3/28 16:08

• mattm

• Just popping in

It does seem to happen in the early evening which would suggest that it's being knocked out by high demand. Webstats show demand as higher in the afternoon but sadly, I can't log in and test it from work due to useage restrictions.

I think that the biggest indicator, though, is the fact that refreshes seem to bring it back. If XOOPS had screwed up, I just can't see how any amount of refreshing would resolve the issue.

Stewdio
  • 2004/3/28 16:38

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

I get the error when my hosts data center messes up. Not only do I loose my XOOPS DB, I loose all my databases. The first time this happened to me I was about to go ballistic on my host. Everytime it happens, I just wait it out a few hours and then my databases are restored.

I don't know whats happening, either the data center is backing up things and it knocks me out, or they have serious issues. It really P's me off when it happens, but there is nothing I can do. I have a an emergency index.html file that I make active on a regular basis to let people know there are technical dificulties.

I wonder if there is a way I can set up a cron job to detect the database connection, and if it senses it's missing I can use the cron to automatically rename my backup index.html to show so the site doesn't come up blank.

Bah, just rambling and sharing experiences.

mattm
  • 2004/3/29 21:44

• mattm

• Just popping in

Bah! webhosts are flat-out denying any problems at their end. Can anyone recommend a low cost host that'll be up to the job? UK based preferably.

mattm
  • 2004/3/29 22:02

• mattm

• Just popping in

Have just confirmed suspicions by trying to echo phpinfo() while my xoops-based homepage was down. Got a page cannot be displayed error. XOOPS - you are hereby, officially, off the hook!

Only other option the hosts are giving is that it's a DNS-routing or cache issue with my ISP/local network. This smells a little fishy to me although I'll admit I'm not a network expert. Can anyone else comment on the likelyhood of this?

At the end of his email, the support guy had the cheek to try and up-sell me a dedicated server package as if a 'premium' package holder shouldn't expect to have reliable database connectivity! I hate that - when you don't get what you paid for then get told you have to pay more

davidl2
  • 2004/3/30 0:03

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Quote:

mattm wrote:
Bah! webhosts are flat-out denying any problems at their end. Can anyone recommend a low cost host that'll be up to the job? UK based preferably.

I've said it before and I'll say it again :)

www.3dpixelnet.com :) - hosting from £15 per year, and i've found them inexpensive and very helpful indeed!

Login

Who's Online

196 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 196

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits