svaha
Xoops search with memory
  • 2003/12/28 9:19

• svaha

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/8/2 2

When I do a search, look into one of the found items and go back with my browser, it gives a warning : page has expired.
So I have to submit the same search again to look at other results.

Imo :
1) Remember search page
2) Remember search string and make a new search
3) Open found items onclick in a new browser window

What do you think?

Aloha

Mithrandir
Re: Xoops search with memory

4) Use the "Previous/Next" links or page numbers in the bottom instead of back/forward buttons in your browser.

Problem solved

CBlue

Or just refresh the page, that works too.

carnuke
  • 2003/12/28 16:41

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

I think this is a valid point. I also find the search facility inadequate. Using refresh requires 2 extra clicks as there's also a windows notice of expirey. Also where are these links on the pages? Not on my pages... browser back is the only route. I also find the whole whole system cumbersome on account that there are no extracts in the search results indicating the search string in context. This is a major feature in any search function. On a slow 56k modem, going through the whole procedure from search string to irrelevant page then back to search again IS a chore. I would also like to see the ability to change the order of search categories on the results page. I know this is possible by manual coding, but an admin option would be useful.

My site is built around articles, and I am using Google search engine as a more favourable option to XOOPS. It also gives me some insight as to what other surfers are finding indexed on my site. I would like to know how to target googles results to the content page if anyone has done this?

Richard

svaha
  • 2003/12/28 19:09

• svaha

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/8/2 2

Quote:
4) Use the "Previous/Next" links or page numbers in the bottom instead of back/forward buttons in your browser.
Problem solved

Not quite. This is only true if I choose to enter a category (for instance forums)and click at the bottom of that category.
Then I can go back to that page, after reading one of the items.

But I can't go back to my original results page without retyping/refreshing. And that's what I want.
I want to find, not search

Aloha

CBlue

What I usually do is open the search results that I click on in a new window that way I can go back to the search page without having to refresh it.

Herko
  • 2003/12/28 19:32

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Maybe it's just my limited ability to understand things right, but when I do a search here on xoops.org, and click a result, and then press the browser 'back' button, I am returned to the search results, without any messages, reloads or anything. It's logical that when you resubmit your search query, your browser gives you a message telling you you're submitting form information using a navigation button (that's just common security sense). So, what is the issue here?

btw, I use the excellent Mozilla Firebird browser...

Herko

CBlue

Well I, for one, get an error page when I click the back button on my browser for the search results page. That's why I learned to just open up the links I click on the search page into a new window. I use IE6.

carnuke
  • 2003/12/28 19:47

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Using ie 6

from the searched for page

click 1 ...browser back (Warning: Page has Expired )

click 2 ...refresh button

(windows resend information prompt appears)

click 3 ...to ok prompt which

finally reloads search page with a blank search box

I think the option of opening result pages in a new window solves the issue of going back.

Regarding remembering the search string; thats written at the top of your search results page!

Herko
  • 2003/12/28 19:53

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Hmm... that's odd. In IE6 I also get the page expired page, in Mozilla Firebird I don't (I'm loving that lite browser better and better! ). I'll have our devs look into this (but I also recommend getting firebird!)

Herko

Login

Who's Online

164 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 164

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits