munchcra
My Site
  • 2003/12/20 10:53

• munchcra

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/9/6 1

Ok
Lots more to do but I need some feedback on the direction I'm taking on my site.
http://www.northoftoronto.com
Be Nice

Herko
Re: My Site
  • 2003/12/20 11:16

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

ok, here it goes

- move the mainmenu block to the top, and the user/login blocks just below that.
- Why not make a header that spans the width of the page? Skylines are good for that. Also, the dropshadow in the header is nice, but makes the whole header a bit high, and doesn't really add the desired effect (in the header)
- Create a 'welcome' block where you tell your visitors what they can expect to find on your site

Just a few to get you started

Herko

Freetime
  • 2003/12/20 12:07

• Freetime

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/7/30

Good start! :)
try to define a target group of viewers/users and make some works to show it: header, "welcome" news as a top-center blok .etc.. :)

Greets

Jacek

munchcra
  • 2003/12/21 12:47

• munchcra

• Just popping in

I love feedback

Thanks for the pointers I'll be working on them today.
Thanks again
Mark

munchcra
  • 2003/12/21 12:48

• munchcra

• Just popping in

Great Idea
I'm having problems getting my viewers to become a member.
Thanks
Mark

inferno
  • 2003/12/26 11:55

• inferno

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/13

don't we all!

The kind of people who my site appeals to, are exactly the kind of people who go to a website once, then never come back again / if they do, don't want to signup or anything. I've had to run comptetitions and stuff to get them there!

There we go...

CBlue

How about some games, cyberfingers? I think you said before that you want to have a site where people will come to relax and something like games will help. What exactly do you want your site to be about, inferno?

edited to add:

Sorry, I did see a list of games on your site, inferno! But maybe you could add some grapics to give a good visual effect. Plus I think I saw something about a radio, there is already scripts where you can add music/radio to your site so that people can listen to music as they play games.

One other thing, make them have to register before they can play games. You have your games available for anyone to play and so they have no incentive to register.

shivaji
  • 2003/12/26 19:00

• shivaji

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/18

Good work, I would suggest you to install "nautix" theme, replacing this one. Thats all, you dont have to do anything apart from that. oh yes, Just change the logo with yours.

Stewdio
  • 2003/12/26 19:31

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

Another suggestion to get people registered is to add a link at the bottom of every listing. The link can be something simple like "Add your own!". When the users click on it, they would get directed to either add a listing, or if not registered, they would get directed to the login page where they have the option

Your front page would need more content to reflect what it is your site is about. Most people can tell if it's something that suits their needs within a few seconds. Placing business news on the front page block may help. Also adding a block where the 5 most recent entries are displayed, etc etc might help.

The trick is getting them to stick on the front page. So long as it's not too cluttered, people will be interested and want to poke around.

Also, add a ton of directories yourself. Right now, your listings are very sparse. I don't know where you can start to get some listings, but you can try Toronto.com for some ideas for starters. Although, you may want to look around for things in Richmond Hill, Markham and Newmarket, where business is growing rapidly with suburban sprawl. If you throw about 3 or 4 businesses into each section, visitors may look around more for what they need.

If your willing to beat your feet, then make up a single page flyer and hit the business areas. Just getting people from 16th and 404 alone will yeild some good results, especially if it's free

Witout content, there is no real reason to stay. If you have more listings, people will stay and eventually want to add their own, provided that the option to do so is obvious and worth it to them.

Just my take on it, there are of course other ideas and options available.

Login

Who's Online

265 user(s) are online (157 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 265

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits