carnuke
Slow admin pages as site grows.
  • 2003/12/7 17:02

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

As I add more stuff to the site, the admin it's getting noticeably slower to load, refresh and process pages. I suspect partly due to the graphics buttons that come with the module packs.

Is there a way to reduce this 'drag' It would be useful to be able to isolate a specific module to administrate especially when there's a lot of repeated inputting. I know that's not here yet ... just an idea.

Thanks for any help and suggestions

Richard

CBlue
Re: Slow admin pages as site grows.

carnuke,

I created a special admins tools menu on one of my sites. I made the block only viewable to the webmaster group and put it on the top right column of my site.

In that menu, I added links to all the admin sections of my most used modules so that I could go directly to it instead of having to go to admin.php and find the module's admin that way. Plus I put a blocks admin link in it so that I could go directly there to work on my blocks.

carnuke
  • 2003/12/7 17:52

• carnuke

• Home away from home

Now that's a really creative idea!
AS I read you post I realised What your saying; individual module admins are accessible through their urls thus negating the need for system admin.

Nice one Donna

Thank-you, Richard

hsalazar
  • 2003/12/7 18:36

• hsalazar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/6 1

CBlue, carnuke:

What about taking this a step further?

I mean, I imagine a module for webmasers called AdminMaster. What this module does is read in the system the list of active modules and for every one of them the list of menu options available. In its admin section it has a couple of pages.

The first one (called "Options visible in AdminBlock") has a list of the menu options selected to appear in an AdminBlock. Initially this list is empty, but you have a link to a function "Add element to list".

Click on it and you go to another page (titled "Options assignable to AdminBlock") listing all the menu options available given the active modules. Each option has a checkbox. If you click on it, the menu option will be added to the list. Once you select a set of menu options, you click on "Update list" and get back to the first page.

There you now see the menu options you marked in the other page. They are in a list where you can:

1. Define their order at will (may be as in the actual modules list, may be with "Up" and "Down" buttons).
2. Edit the string to appear in the block.
3. Click on a link to remove an option from the list.
4. Edit the block's title.
5. Choose the display mode: either as a list of links or as a select drop-down menu.

You don't have to do anything else. By default, the module makes the AdminBlock visible, but of course you can configure it to appear wherever you want.

Is this clear? I mean, would you think it'd work?

Cheers.

svaha
  • 2003/12/7 20:22

• svaha

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/8/2 2

I use the menu block of the blockies module.
When I go into (for instance) the news section this menu block displays the submenu of news (so I don't need the menu on the left side anymore)
When I'm logged in as administrator it also shows a admin button that leads me directly to the news configuration.
This is not exactly what you asked for, but maybe such an existing module/block could be expanded to also show other items of a specific module.

Aloha

CBlue

That would be a wonderful module, hsalazar! I would love to see that added to xoops!

I got my idea about creating a custom admin tools menu because I have played around with phpnuke (only because I love learning new things!) and they have an admin menu that lists links to specific admin functions of modules. So I decided I could do the same thing with XOOPS by making my own custom menu like that. But my custom menu is huge! I like having quick access to alot of my modules, blocks admin and user admin.

The way you described your proposed admin module would be a great plus for XOOPS users.

Chappy
  • 2003/12/8 8:14

• Chappy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/12/14

Cool! Very, very cool idea!

carnuke
  • 2003/12/8 16:50

• carnuke

• Home away from home

I also like Horacio's Idea. Between us we've synthesised something really useful with appeal to any XOOPS user. Such a module would add a valuable time saving benefit to webmasters (what is the female version?) who regularly have to administate various functions. The concept of making it configurable makes it guarenteed to be popular. OK... on you desk by 9am tomorrow.

Seriously though, someone else would have to run with this one at the moment. (building a module) Chappy loves it! how about it??!!

What about you Donna, your half way there already...

Regards Richard

CBlue

I'm not even close, Richard! I just created a block not a module. The module would be way cooler!

intel352
  • 2003/12/8 18:26

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

phpnuke was referenced (the admin-shortcut block)

i recommend checking out nsnnuke, and their admin block, it's much better designed than the PHPNuke block (and phpnuke is usually ancient code anyways, lol)

http://www.nsnnuke.org << much better than phpnuke, and not too far from XOOPS quality

Login

Who's Online

75 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 75

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits