Orias
Installing Locally (n00b)
  • 2003/12/5 21:58

• Orias

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/5

Hi all,

Super, Hyper, Mega N00b question time!!

I'm new to all this ... and frankly I am baffled! I am trying to get XOOPS installed locally so I can design, edit etc before going anywhere near the net. I have tried to follow the installation instructions, and various posts on here ... but it all went painfully wrong, so I've deleted everything in the hope of starting afresh.

As I understand it, I have to install this Apache thing to simulate my site host? I did this, but then got lost and couldn't figure out what to do next . Can anyone give an idiots (me) guide to getting XOOPS installed locally?

Cheers for any help,
O

Grimoire
Re: Installing Locally (n00b)
  • 2003/12/6 2:13

• Grimoire

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/11/18

install apache
install odbc
install mysql
install php
unzip XOOPS into apache group\apache\htdocs

xoops may, cant recall, make a html folder in htdocs and dump everything in there. if so move everything in the html folder up a level so its in htdocs and delete the html folder

follow the XOOPS docs from there for install

Dave_L
  • 2003/12/6 2:18

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

I installed BigApache for this purpose. It includes Apache, PHP and MySQL, as well as Perl and some other stuff.

ozboof
  • 2003/12/6 3:53

• ozboof

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/10/28

I am using Ibserver and just un zip the XOOPS package into www folder and install

but its configeration can be different to a real server but most things seem to work ok for testing

MadFish
  • 2003/12/6 4:21

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

There's a nice installer bundle called Appserv that does all the hard work for you - installs the Apache server, PHP and mySQL for you in one go, removes a lot of headaches.

Then you just install XOOPs to your local Appserv/www/ directory, and away you go.

CBlue

Does anyone know if there is a server software program like these listed here that will work right with Windows Me? I'd hate to have to go back to XP because XP was not compatible with all my hardware.

Mithrandir

I use xampp from www.apachefriends.org
Dunno if it works with ME - but I cannot see, why it shouldn't (I use XP).

CBlue

I've tried installing the IB one listed above and it wouldn't let me into MySQL or phpmyadmin. I looked on the forums for a couple of the programs listed and it seems that only people using Windows 2000 and XP are using these programs and no one mentioned Windows Me in those forums. (that I could see)

I've tried installing MySQL before and could never get it to work right. I downloaded and installed the apache server, php, and MySQL that said they were for Win32. Apache was working but MySQL wouldn't. So I'm thinking the problem is my Operating System.

Login

Who's Online

200 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 200

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits