Per4orm
Legality of Invision Board Module
  • 2003/11/21 21:02

• Per4orm

• Documentation Writer

• Since: 2003/11/14

I am a huge fan of both XOOPS and Invision Power Board, and think that the integrated module is fantastic. However, I worry a little about how legal this module actually is, after reading the Invision Power Board Licence Agreement:

Quote:
SCOPE OF GRANT

You may:

Customise the Software's design and operation to suit the internal needs of your web site

Produce and distribute modification instructions, Skin packs, or Language packs provided that they contain notification that the Skin and Language packs were exported from and originally created by Invision Power Board and/or IPS. The modifications instructions you personally create are not owned by IPS so long as they contain no proprietary coding from Invision Power Board.

Create applications which interface with the operation of the Software provided said application is an original work

You may not:

Permit other individuals to use the Software except under the terms listed above

Reverse engineer, disassemble, or create derivative works based on the Software for distribution or usage outside your web site excluding those applications described above

Use the Software in such as way as to condone or encourage terrorism, promote or provide pirated Software, or any other form of illegal or damaging activity

Modify and/or remove any copyright notices or labels on the Software on each page (unless full license is purchase) and in the header of each script source file
distribute the Software

Distribute individual copies of files, libraries, or other programming material in the Software package

Distribute or modify proprietary graphics, HTML, or CSS packaged with the Software for use in Software applications other than Invision Power Board or web sites without written permission from IPS

Reading this, it looks like the module being distributed is in breach of this licence as it uses the core proprietory code - not to mention distribution of the original graphics etc.

I would like to be able to use this module, as using Invision Board seperately means my users will have to register an additional account, but to be honest, I can't afford to take the risk...

Herko
Re: Legality of Invision Board Module
  • 2003/11/21 22:04

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

This module has been developed with official approval of the IPB developers, so it's completely legal.

Herko

Per4orm
Re: Legality of Invision Board Module
  • 2003/11/21 22:25

• Per4orm

• Documentation Writer

• Since: 2003/11/14

That's all I needed to hear - thanks!

Login

Who's Online

351 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 351

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits