valentin
How to upgrade a module safely ?
  • 2003/11/12 10:39

• valentin

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/11/2

Hi XOOPS fans ,

this is a general question. Lets say I would like to upgrade a module within xoops. f.e from Gallery 1.3.3.1 to 1.3.3.2 what is the best method to do this ?

This is what I tried:

1) removing the module with the admin menu
- DB tables and data gets lost ;-(

2) deleting the folder completely and just copy the new folder in the same location
- might work sometimes, but not the prober way and new module version doesnt show up in the admin panel.

What I want to do is either of these:

3) remove the module from the admin module and leave the database without changes. And add the new module with the admin panel. (specifying or finding the existing tables)

or

4) use an upgrade option within the admin panel.

I did not find yet what I am looking for. Did I overlook something ??

Best regards

Nils Valentin
Tokyo/Japan

http://www.be-known-online.com/mysql

Herko
Re: How to upgrade a module safely ?
  • 2003/11/12 10:58

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

the proper way to upgrade a module that HAS NO DATABASE CHANGES made since the last version, is the way you describe: upload the newer files to the server, overwriting the old ones. Then, you update the module using the system admin, modules panel.

If a module developer has made changes to the module db structure, the only way you can upgrade and keep your data, is when the developer supplies an upgrade script. There is no ther way, I'm afraid.

Herko

valentin
Re: How to upgrade a module safely ?
  • 2003/11/13 8:44

• valentin

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/11/2

HI Herko,

wouldnt it make sense to make a rule that either

a) a upgrade script must be provided for at least 2 previous versions (which can get complicated)

b) build the changes around the original database
(which means that the programme and database gets bigger )

c) provide some instructions how to integrate the old data into the new structure ??

This way the user has a warranty that he cant go wrong if he follows the instructions (and its not a CVS version

I think that at least within a major version the structure shouldnt change (same for modules) so that upgrading a module will be uncomplicated as long as it is compliant to the structure of this major version.

Best regards

Nils Valentin
Tokyo/Japan

http://www.be-known-online.com/mysql

Login

Who's Online

286 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 286

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits