Anonymous
XHTML 1.1 :: Time To Bite The Bullet?
  • 2003/11/11 5:38

• Anonymous

• Since:

What's so important about XHTML 1.1?
XHTML 1.1 is important because it's the foundation of a new "building code" for the Web. We need a building code for the Web for the same common sense reasons we've got building codes for the homes we live in - because quality and consistency come from standards. Standards set benchmarks, which in turn act as a springboard for innovation and progress. Standards are the result of collective wisdom. Newcomers to any profession look to standards for leadership. Why should Web developers be any different?

Read more here.

hsalazar
Re: XHTML 1.1 :: Time To Bite The Bullet?
  • 2003/11/11 7:14

• hsalazar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/6 1

nautis:

You're more than correct when pointing the importance of this matter. It's crucial to have standards when you're tryring to set bridges and to create truly universal tools. I'd only add that the movement towards a real separation between content and presentation, a movement epitomized by Zeldman's famous article "To Hell with Bad Browsers" (among other relevant cries), has also been helped by the slow but relentless dephasing of older browsers. Why should anyone have to hack a selector just to show a box correctly to everybody? So, yes: it's about time to bite the bullet, and certainly it's important to prepare XOOPS for a future built on solid, universal and high quality standards.

Cheers.

sunsnapper
Re: XHTML 1.1 :: Time To Bite The Bullet?

I agree with this. However, as far as I know, the XOOPS core is well-equipped to handle this move. Some modules still need some template tweaking, and some *goodies* like the WYSIWYG editor include "align" in the img tag (which is deprecated), but, for the most part it is in a very good position.

Finally, we can get away from layout tables once and for all. The sooner div themes based on CSS positioning come out, the better for everyone (I'm working on converting mine this week). But, I think it may be wise for XOOPS to be a little agnostic on this. Yes, get rid of deprecated functions... but, if a user has an application where they want to continue using layout tables and xhtml transitional, XOOPS doesn't really need to care.

Login

Who's Online

179 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 179

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits