RayZor
Flood Control in Bulletin Board
  • 2003/10/26 15:39

• RayZor

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/9/14

There's nothing more annoying. I spend months developing a XOOPS site for my clan, gradually adding modules till it becomes something special and useful and then some idiot comes along and decides he wants to cause as much trouble as possible.

I'm using Version 1 of the Standard forum software (is there an upgrade anywhere?) and one of my users decided he wanted to get his post count up by continuously refreshing (F5) the page as his post was submitted. Personally I have better things to do with my weekend than press F5 2,230 times but obviously he doesn't.

I got an email from my host today demanding that I either shut down the site or buy a dedicated server as "The forum which you are running on your virtual server is causing our servers to have drastic loads, with hondreds of forum processes running at once."! I only have 93 registered users!!!!

Is there any way to implement flood-control or do I have to use different forum software?

RayZor
Re: Flood Control in Bulletin Board
  • 2003/10/26 15:42

• RayZor

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/9/14

I've just noticed a French article in the Hacks Downloads section (https://xoops.org/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=28 ) refers to newbb v2.0 - where can I get v2 from?

mike--h
  • 2003/10/26 17:48

• mike--h

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/6/22

maybe the v2 refers to the hack
as in version 2 of the hack not newbb

svaha
  • 2003/10/26 18:32

• svaha

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/8/2 2

The hack refers to version 1.3 and 2.0 of Xoops

I know of a module that is made to deal with dos-attacks,
https://xoops.org/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?op=&cid=24
but I don't know if it can be used to prevent a user from 'attacking' your site.

Aloha

------------------
Beam me up Scotty,
there is no intelligent life down here
http://www.rainbowshaman.com

gruessle
  • 2003/10/28 10:47

• gruessle

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/20

I tried this here and by clicking F5 it does not increment the views this guy must have done this some other way.

sunsnapper

Are you using XOOPS 2 or XOOPS 1.3?

(I'm not sure if the forum module itself is different between the two versions of Xoops, but, it is possible that there were changes to the core that addressed this. As a previous poster noted, they could get the same thing to happen on xoops.org.)

Ace_Armstrong

Quote:

gruessle wrote:
I tried this here and by clicking F5 it does not increment the views this guy must have done this some other way.

I think you can do it if you hit F5 on the "your post has been submitted" page at the right time.

Ace_Armstrong

Quote:

gruessle wrote:

I think you can do it if you hit F5 on the "your post has been submitted" page at the right time.

Ace_Armstrong

Quote:

gruessle wrote:

Ace_Armstrong

Quote:

gruessle wrote:

Login

Who's Online

160 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 160

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits