philroy
Basic "link to file" system?
  • 2003/9/12 3:55

• philroy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/8/23

Hi all,

Work continues on a site for a school that I'm developing. The main page (of which you can see a temp non-xoops version athttp://www.superhost.co.nz/~intnrm/) has a pace on the right for a link to a newsletter from the school.

This file will be (typically) a Word document that people can download. I want a really simple way that someone can log in, upload the latest newsletter file and that it can then be downloaded from the main page.

I've tried modifying the downloads module to no avail. I've found a newsletter module that actually does a different thing to what I want, as well as a file manager module that was not of use.

Is there a module that will handle simple uploads, keep each of the newsletters accessible on one page but also allow me to set it to always point to the most recent file from the main page?

Cheers,

Phil

sunsnapper
Re: Basic "link to file" system?

While you are waiting for a better answer, here is a suggestion. It would work as follows:

Ask the person uploading the file to give each newsletter a unique filename, such as 2003maynews.doc for a newsletter from May 2003.

Have them upload the file. Then upload the file again as currentnews.doc.

In a custom block, you could create a link to currentnews.doc.

philroy
  • 2003/9/12 4:45

• philroy

• Friend of XOOPS

OK, but what mechanism do I use to do that? The whole intention of the set up is so that the people using XOOPS won't have to understand FTP-ing or anything.

I guess, even if there is some nice interface outside of XOOPS that I could use, then that's what I'm after.

I just want them to be able to log in, click "Upload a file", give a few details and up it goes. The old newsletter gets shunted back into an old list, and only the most recent is readily available.

Phil

sunsnapper

OK, I missed your goal of bypassing FTP.

WFSections may be a good module to try. I know that it has a filemanager to attach files to articles. It is one of the most popular and well-supported modules for Xoops, so if it meets your needs, that would be a good one to use.

Perhaps the Filemanager module or the Document Management module would do what you are trying to do. Unfortunately, I've not used either one, perhaps another user will comment.

Xoops 2 Modules

Modscentral: XOOPS 2 Modules

philroy
  • 2003/12/29 7:43

• philroy

• Friend of XOOPS

Hi all,

The site I mention is now complete in static HTML form....www.pnins.school.nz

I'm all ready to go with an XOOPS version, but the newsletter/file/word doc idea is something I still can't figure out how to do.

Basically you can see it in action on the site if you click on the main page newsletter icon or click on the "Previous" link under the newsletter icon. I want the admin of the site to be able to log in, upload a file (a word doc newsletter) and this become the main link....all previous files would become part of an archive of old newsletters.

I'm really needing this to be simple. I've tried 'arms', 'filemanage', 'mydownloads' and more.

Can someone suggest an easy way to do it, or point me to a simple to use module?

The person administering the site is not a web designer....so I really need this to be simple. At the moment, I'm maintaining the site for them.

Phil

Stewdio
  • 2003/12/29 8:48

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

Try File Manager or Document Manager or both. Document manager looks to be more of what your looking for based on what I've read here.

Neither of which I have tried, nor verified if the sites still operate etc.. etc...

Hope it helps.

philroy
  • 2003/12/29 10:37

• philroy

• Friend of XOOPS

Thanks, but no....neither of those really fit the bill. Filemanager just gives you file access to your XOOPS directory of sorts, and DMS (at version 0.5) doesn't really do much at all....I couldn't install it properly or get it to work, despite reading some of the postings about it on this site.

Anyone else got any ideas?

Cheers,

Phil

philroy
  • 2003/12/31 1:26

• philroy

• Friend of XOOPS

I've gone right back to one of my first ideas, and have decided to use the downloads module that comes with Xoops....I've going to have to a lot of customising (there's so much that simply doesn't need to be displayed) but it will ultimately be the best approach I think.

Phil

Stewdio
  • 2003/12/31 2:04

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

Sorry Phil! Looks like you have your work cut out for you, thats for sure!

Hope something comes along for you soon

Cheers!

Login

Who's Online

187 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 187

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits