ghia
Re: Mass user registrations.... bots perhaps? Anyone else getting these?
  • 2010/8/11 15:48

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Quote:
I think Mamba may have forgotten to change the settings).
You are right! It is corrected now.

Mamba
  • 2010/8/11 15:54

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

The IP seems to be from Pakistan:

http://whois.domaintools.com/119.155.27.37
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

ghia
  • 2010/8/11 15:59

• ghia

Block 119.155.0.0/18 in Apache with .htaccess or with your cPanel and you never hear again from those.

Quote:
I haven't received a single complaint about it.
In my country, people tend to not complain, they simply move on and never return.

barryc
  • 2010/8/11 16:53

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/3/20

thanks to you all.

I tried changing permissions for registered users for "post without approval". That is, posts should be moderated for registered users but not for those in our Members group. I tried a test registration then a post and I did see the screen to say that the post must be approved. However, I am a moderator for that forum and I did not get a message about the post. I cannot find anywhere in CBB where posts pending approval are listed.

So, I reactivate post without approval for registered users but have blocked the IP range for that group in Pakistan (119.155.0.0 - 119.155.31.255). We'll see if that thwarts their game.

ghia, I'm curious about one thing - I'm not expert in the CIDR format for designating an IP range but if I enter the range above my control panel shows 119.155.0.0/19, rather than 18, as you suggested. Can you clarify why you suggested /18?

Incidentally, you convinced me. I changed CBB to show userID not real name.

barryC

ghia
  • 2010/8/11 21:05

• ghia

I don't think there are notifications for it (think i explained a bit to someone who asked once how to have that).
For the aproval, at the end of the thread you see a link admin. After clicking you see the same with some extra links and menu items. One link says pending and there you get a list where you can approve, move or delete the pending posts.

Did the calculation out of my head, but missed a bit. Sorry.
Doesn't matter much, because 119.155.32.0 - 119.155.63.255 is from the same company in PK.

barryc
  • 2010/8/11 21:33

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

Thanks for explaining that ghia. I can see the link now, having been told where to look. However, I have to say it's not very intuitive and, frankly, not so useful. One would have to be checking each forum frequently to look for pending posts for approval. It would be much more useful if the admin or moderator were to be sent an email indicating that there is a post awaiting approval.

No need for apology about the mental miscalculation on the IP range. I wouldn't even know how to do it, in my head or otherwise.

So far I haven't seen another spam post. Let's hope it continues that way.

barryC

ghia
  • 2010/8/12 1:43

• ghia

See CIDR and SubNetWork.

barryc
  • 2010/11/22 16:29

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

I hate to have to reactivate this discussion, but I suspect reCaptcha has been hacked or overcome in some way by robots.

I have two active sites both using reCaptcha. The larger site also has Peekay's hack, earlier in this thread, blocking direct access without a referrer. A smaller site has reCaptacha but not the hack. I have been getting tons of spurious registrations on that site that I suspect are robot generated. Has anyone else experienced this while using reCaptcha?

BTW, I have now inlcuded Peekay's hack in the second site. We'll see if that solves the problem.

barryc

chefry
  • 2011/8/10 11:37

• chefry

• Home away from home

• Since: 2006/10/14

In the last few days I've been flooded with registrations, all with html and links. Obviously only advertising. I installed peekays hack so we'll see what happens.

but, i have some other questions

1) is there a way to disable html in new user registration?
2) is there a way to disable the website URL in new user registration?
3) is there a way to record the new users IP? then i can just add them to the IP ban list

an answer to #3 is preferable

TIA!!!

btesec
  • 2011/8/10 16:05

• btesec

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2007/2/20

If i am not mistaken Wishcraft released a profile module that can alleviate that issue, ie if you allow users to register on your site.

Login

Who's Online

164 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 164

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits