Calipsy
Re: Advanced Downloads Module
  • 2004/4/3 17:14

• Calipsy

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/4/30

Hi... I just installed mydownload proin my XOOPS 2.6... and it is working very well.

Thanks Oleman for the link.

Dhurgan
  • 2004/4/5 14:26

• Dhurgan

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/11

I am also on the lookout for this kind of module...

What do I need thats not in the current mydownloads?

* selectable if anonymous/registred should be able to upload
possibly both but with different limits.

* special trusted users with higher limits/rights, i.e.
group moderators/admins.

* upload from local drive to "hidden area"

* title and description, hyperlinks to homesite if they want
them.

* selectable keywords, i.e. I want the user to select from a
list of keywords, what his upload is, new keywords can be
requested with upload if none is fitting.
Theese keywords should of course be searchable along with
titles and descriptions.

* screenshot of said object (if any) (uploadable at same
time or later (by same user))

* ownership of the uploaded files, i.e. if xxx uploads it,
xxx can delete, update etc. (all according to permissions
set by moderator)

* ratings/counters

* moderator support, i.e. an upload will not be available
for download until the moderator says so, this moderator
should then also accept new keywords if he/she agrees and
be able to change the object's categories/keywords if
possible.

* more then a two level category... i.e.
Main-Category->Sub-Category->...->Sub-Category

The MyDownloads I have cant handle this, maybe the new can handle some of it?

Neither the Dana or Invision one is really there, and seem unwittingly cluttered interfacewise.

I have just downloaded the mydownloads_v and will try that now and see what it can handle.

domineaux
  • 2004/4/6 13:09

• domineaux

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/9/29

I've installed the Mydownload Pro.

When I try to upload jpg, jpeg it says MIME to not allowed or something like that. Actually, there is no jpg, jpeg selector in the preferences.

I looked a the MIME file in the module and it appears everything in place, but not all are showing up in the MIME selector under preferences.

Also, it would be nice to have a click on beside the upload browse entry. THe purpose would be to place the uploaded file automatically into a pre-determined folder. It would save having to type in the file location, and would tend to encourage all uploads in one place over time.

On the admin preferences there are still some box entries in Portugese or Spainish.

It would also be nice have some placement tool for placing the graphic upload file in the download box, instead of far right.

domineaux
  • 2004/4/6 13:12

• domineaux

• Quite a regular

Sorry I'm deleting second identical posting of previous post...don't know how I did it.

Dhurgan
  • 2004/4/7 7:57

• Dhurgan

• Just popping in

Quote:

domineaux wrote:
I've installed the Mydownload Pro.

When I try to upload jpg, jpeg it says MIME to not allowed or something like that. Actually, there is no jpg, jpeg selector in the preferences.

I looked a the MIME file in the module and it appears everything in place, but not all are showing up in the MIME selector under preferences.

Also, it would be nice to have a click on beside the upload browse entry. THe purpose would be to place the uploaded file automatically into a pre-determined folder. It would save having to type in the file location, and would tend to encourage all uploads in one place over time.

On the admin preferences there are still some box entries in Portugese or Spainish.

It would also be nice have some placement tool for placing the graphic upload file in the download box, instead of far right.

Happened to me to, I fixed that and some other stuff, but it seems you cant have two values for the same type, i.e. zip cant be both application/x-zip-compressed and application/zip as an example.

in other words, the mime-handling is a bit backwards :/
I'm looking into that right now for my site, and actually rewriting some of the stuff so that it works for my site.

One thing thats not possible is for example configuring paths for screenshots, uploads and category-images to be in any path, just relative to the XOOPS install :/
You can fix that with softlinks, but it doesnt help you with that :/ The Xoopx install directory isnt nessesarily the same place I want my users to upload stuff.

The spanish lines in the english language files were easy to fix. Making it an option to be able to post site links as the download was another. I just want straight uploads, no sitelinking at all.

The screenshot upload wont work yet though, since that seems to be expecting an url still :/ wont accept image/png although if i just upload that it works fine.

I have fixed a lot in one day, but now I have to dig deeper and maybe see if I need to redo it completely to fit my needs. Good thing about it is that I'ver already learned a lot about doing modules

Dhurgan
  • 2004/4/7 8:00

• Dhurgan

• Just popping in

Ah yes, forgot to say.

Otherwise this module is a step in the rigth direction.
Now if the cat delivers, maybe thats even better
I still miss the keyword thing though, but the group permission stuff is good, even the user-permissions are a step in the right direction, even if I dont need it :)

Dhurgan
  • 2004/4/7 12:07

• Dhurgan

• Just popping in

Duh!

I just found the very STATIC imagetypes in the submit.php for the screenshot files.

Stupid as I was I assumed that the selected mime-types for downloads would be for both the download AND the screenshot, but it was not valid for the screenshot which has its own, static types. (static as in not configurable from interface)

I'm currently adding that functionality.

I'm also trying to overcome the problem with multiple mimetypes for one file-ending, although, the easiest should be to just make the mime-types visible instead, I will probably go for that.

I will also try to make the mime-types administrable within the admin interface.

How is catman coming along with his module?

/Dhurgan

domineaux
  • 2004/4/7 16:17

• domineaux

• Quite a regular

I put up the phpscript,"PAfilesdb" script and just hyperlinked to it from the multi-menu. The multi-menu is an excellent mod for linking to non-xoops scripts.

Pafilesdb is a pretty good files manager and uploader/downloader. It is nowhere near equal to the download module we need. It is fine as a download module, if anonymous downloading is OK. Permissions are not very flexible in the script.

This may sound bad, which I don't mean it to be. I just go fishing for phpscripts, when XOOPS doesn't have what I need. I then just iframe or hyperlink to other scripts. I have a hosting account with no restrictions on MySql databases...that helps a lot in putting up the separate scripts.

After almost 2 years with xoops, I'm no longer an XOOPS purist. If I'm on a tight schedule, I just improvise.

I am also anxiously awaiting a good XOOPS downloads module.

Dhurgan
  • 2004/4/8 14:52

• Dhurgan

• Just popping in

Well,

I've started to rip the downloads_pro module apart, it has some interesting bugs (as I see it) and I need som features it hasnt got so I'm writing another one fitting my needs.

I will try to make it as "general" as possible.

I will use some code from the module that is working properly But I guess I have to check the license a bit closer before I release it.

well see where it ends up...

domineaux
  • 2004/4/8 17:25

• domineaux

• Quite a regular

I think you can sure get some beta testers off these boards.

There are more than a few of us needing a good downloads module, like now.

------------------

Login

Who's Online

134 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 134

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits