MadFish
Re: Terms of use and XOOPSiquette review
  • 2007/7/5 1:26

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

I have one suggestion to add to the XOOPSiquette - I don't think personal messages sent between members should be posted in the public forums.

PM = Personal Message.

Edit: Posting your *own* PMs is ok, just not other peoples.

BlueStocking

Where are you going? << just waiting on you boss, you made a post you got responses. #41 no answer... $43 no answer... to discuss, you need to make another appearance and discuss the subject of the original post. Not just tell us we are off track while we are hanging around waiting for you to come back.

This thread is to discuss if some of the rules here need to be changed. << the first rule that needs to be changed is the idea that it is not permissible to say what we think when we think it. If you make a statement, Catz responds and it reminds me I would like to see Catz in a leadership position, I will pretty much say it.

Somehow we went from that to catz being a community leader.

As far as I am concern the leaders are in place. If you want to talk about new leaders go elsewhere. << WHO IS COMMUNITY LEADER. I don't believe it has been announced or I missed it. Enlighten me please. The last I heard it was James and he stepped down. Besides I want Catz as a co-project leader with DJ, not community leader as my first choice.

But here, right here, we talking about what is expected from a user when they post a message, and what will happen if they fail to comply. << and if they fail to REPLY in an appropiate matter on the subject they posed what happens?

I advise, Run that through the legal department. #41

I belive that disclaimer is meant to protect XOOPS from legal action;
Your extra add-on "Any unlawful activities will be reported to law enforcement. XOOPS.org and its agents will cooperate fully with any law enforcement agency." May take away from the initial intent, actually involving them in legal action.
CATZ direct response. #43

I personally see much of this as knee jerk reaction to many of the problems that would not be around if the wheels of XOOPS else where were in the 'correct' motion. As I have said before, don't simply paint over the cracks, find the root of the problem at the foundations and fix that first.

Much of the real problems here at XOOPS have now been obscured by confusion, conjecture and hearsay.

You can make as many rules and regulations as you like, in some case I have found that this could in fact make situations worse. Your changes apply to the effect and not the cause of the problems here at XOOPS and until this is noticed nothing will change here.

etc.,

Cause and effect. We are trying to fix internal hemorrhaging with a sticky plaster and sympathy and until someone has the foresight to make the first cut, we won’t fix the real problems.

Anyway, that's my opinion.

ATB

Catz

BlueStocking

double post deleted.
irmtfan
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

MadFish
  • 2007/7/5 2:59

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

My other suggestion is to keep posts short

kc0maz
  • 2007/7/5 4:24

• kc0maz

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/4/18

Quote:

BlueStocking wrote:
I advise, Run that through the legal department.

I belive that disclaimer is meant to protect XOOPS from legal action;
Your extra add-on "Any unlawful activities will be reported to law enforcement. XOOPS.org and its agents will cooperate fully with any law enforcement agency." May take away from the initial intent, actually involving them in legal action.

Here is my response. I would like someone from the legal department to have a look at my add on statement.

My intent is to protect the moderators & administrators from possible criminal prosecution. In some parts of the world, it is just as illegal to not report criminal activities as it is to commit the crime. I am not talking about peer to peer file sharing, that's a civil situation, I am talking about drug trafficking, murder, terrorist activities, and other activities that are considered a crime.

Please if anyone on the legal department want to have a look, do so.
Some dream of success, while others wake up and work for it.
--unknown

MadFish
  • 2007/7/5 4:56

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

I understand that the XOOPS Foundation offers some kind of legal protection mechanism for developers of the system against personal liability etc, but you'd have to ask Herko for the details on exactly what it covers/how it works.

With regard to user behaviour, I think all XOOPS could do is to make it clear in the terms of service/membership disclaimer that members are 100% responsible/liable for their own posts.

I don't agree with a blanket statement that 'xoops will cooperate with any law enforcement agency'. Privacy (laws) should be respected, also. Personal info shouldn't be handed out unless a valid court order [or equivalent] is presented.

Edited to shorten.

kc0maz
  • 2007/7/5 5:26

• kc0maz

• Quite a regular

Quote:

Catzwolf wrote:
I personally see much of this as knee jerk reaction to many of the problems that would not be around if the wheels of XOOPS else where were in the 'correct' motion. As I have said before, don't simply paint over the cracks, find the root of the problem at the foundations and fix that first.

Much of the real problems here at XOOPS have now been obscured by confusion, conjecture and hearsay.

You can make as many rules and regulations as you like, in some case I have found that this could in fact make situations worse. Your changes apply to the effect and not the cause of the problems here at XOOPS and until this is noticed nothing will change here.

>snip<

If XOOPS had a strong leader who understood the needs and wants of a community and put the community first before themselves I believe we would not be having any of the problems currently at Xoops.

Cause and effect. We are trying to fix internal hemorrhaging with a sticky plaster and sympathy and until someone has the foresight to make the first cut, we won’t fix the real problems.

Anyway, that's my opinion.

ATB

Catz

Catz does make some valid points. Now its my turn. I don't care what your opinion is, or that of the project council for that matter. The only real opinion that I am concerned with is that of the person or company looking for a quality CMS program. What is their opinion of XOOPS CMS and support they might receive?

When they come to our web site, what are they going to see, profanity in every shape and form, childish personal attacks, and every type of illegal activity taking place or a professional style web site, with a professional quality product, with a world-class support system and with professional ethics? From what I have read in this forum and others, I am beginning to think this community would prefer the former.

This is not a knee-jerk reaction, This entire thread to understand how the community wants to be portrayed.

@the community-What do you want? A code of conduct that the moderators will enforce, or an open, free for all, where anything goes forums?
--unknown

MadFish
  • 2007/7/5 5:35

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

IMHO:

* We need a code of conduct (eg. XOOPSetiqquete).
* It should form the basis for moderation policy and be consistently applied .

kc0maz
  • 2007/7/5 5:41

• kc0maz

• Quite a regular

Quote:

MadFish wrote:
I don't think we have a legal department :) however I understand that the XOOPS Foundation offers some kind of legal protection mechanism for developers of the system against personal liability etc, but you'd have to ask Herko for the details on exactly what/how it works.

With regard to user behaviour, I think all XOOPS could do is to make it clear in the terms of service/membership disclaimer that members are 100% responsible/liable for their own posts.

I am unable to agree with a blanket statement that XOOPS will cooperate with law enforcement agencies, if these means 'any law enforcement agency in the world' - in some countries these agencies are the major perpetrators of crime and handing over personal or identifying data can have extreme consequences. I know many of you will think this is a trivial issue, but I assure you that it is not.

I think such issues should be left to due process. If the administrators of XOOPS.org get served with (say) some kind of warrant or court order that they are legally compelled to obey, then they should do so. But hand over the identity of someone who has made a few careless remarks to government official that asks? Bear in mind that many countries also have strong privacy laws, and it possible to get into legal trouble for handing over too much data, as well as not enough.

Possibly the location where the Foundation is registered also puts XOOPS under a certain legal jurisdiction, but I am not sure.

handing over identifying data to corrupt law-enforcement is not a trivial problem, rather is a very serious problem, however not handing over the information could be just as bad.

Maybe we can re-word it where the moderators & administrators follows the law of their country, with regards to reporting. As far as the logs and records go, I think we need to hear from Herko. I always get confused when it comes to international law.
--unknown

hervet
  • 2007/7/5 6:16

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/11/4

This subject has been worked since a very long time.
Marco has made a great of job on this.

May be it will be a good idea to make a final point on this subject and to apply it ?

Login

Who's Online

279 user(s) are online (183 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 279

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits