damaster
Re: Mambo - Joomla! Discussion
  • 2006/1/3 20:52

• damaster

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/5/11

so there people succeed and here people failed!?
But still refusing to learn from them!?

I like people more than machines or money. But that's me!
Lets do something good and great: Lets do open source!

alitan
  • 2006/1/3 20:53

• alitan

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/3/14

where?
My Persian Xoops Project:
http://www.MPXP.org

damaster
  • 2006/1/3 20:56

• damaster

• Just can't stay away

Comparing Joomla to XOOPS organization model and processes.

Bender
  • 2006/1/3 20:57

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

Would be sad to see you leaving alitan.
I can understand your frustration ... so what can i say?

Well only thing is there is more pulling in being open than i have ever seen before. Internal and external. For some things it will be too late obviously but for others it might be working ... future will tell.
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

damaster
  • 2006/1/3 21:04

• damaster

• Just can't stay away

Hope for XOOPS Community that this words come true!

siweb
  • 2006/1/3 22:01

• siweb

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/5/2 1

I agree with Bender, something is finaly moving here.

We can't change the past, but we can surely change the future.

Rhomal
  • 2006/1/3 22:42

• Rhomal

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/10/5

> IMHO, effective management requires more than just an effective manager (singular). It requires an effective manager + good communication skills + a team that is willing to be managed.

I could not agree more. Well said.

> For the most part, we have all of the above. We could certainly improve in some areas, but that is the case with all situations.

Thats rose colored glasses on your part. And a prime example of whats is wrong with this project on a mgt level. It seems all the staff here want to focus in and pat each other on the back for all the good points and drag feet or ignore the issues that need to be addressed.

Yes, you ask 'what needs to be improved' and such as this thread shows. However I have yet to see any real improvments and you people keep tripping all over yourself time and time and time again. You seem to have the 8 sec memory of a goldfish. At least thats the impression I am left with accurate or not.

How many times in the past 24 months that I have used XOOPS have the staff taken heat for lack of communication to the community? And yet you just did it AGAIN. Seriously, then you act all perplexed when ppl get upset or act like its a first time offense.

> Personally, I believe Herko is a fine Project manager with very good communication skills. We have a very good team of Team Leaders who are progressing every day in their individual responsibilities as well as their communication skills with their teams and with each other.

Thats great... how about they use some of the skill with the community?

> Where I see the greatest room for improvement is communication with the community and the communities willingness to work with the Core Team.

Less talk more action would be good. Can post all day about these issues, I see no action upon it however.

> There seems to be a lot of complaining going on, but very little action.

Since the dev team is running the show THEY need to identify the issues and start the correction. We as the community cant do much at this point until they acknowledge the issues and reach out to the community. THEY need to take the first step of good will not us. We have done all we can up to this point. We have explained a dozen times over our disatification and given some areas that needs to be addressed. What do you propose else we can do?

Start forking the community?

> From the standpoint of a Team Leader, I find it hard to invest my time with someone when they complain, but offer no viable solutions.

Frankly, and I mean this with no personal disrespect, but from a profesional standpoint; If you say that you are no 'leader' in my book. A true leader is proactive not reactive. A true leader does not compleatly depend on the people under him to tell him whats wrong. A true leader reconizes and addresses the issues he sees without needing people to whack him over the head with them time and time again. It seems to me you want the title but put no effort into such by having others do your job for you.

> There are some valid points being brought up in the community. I think that is great. There is always room for improvement in every situation. However, words without action are nothing more than hot air. Quite frankly, it's been like a furnace around here with all the hot air flying around.

Indeed, so when can we see some action from the 'leaders' of this project rather then long, lenghty posts deflecting critisism and responsibility?

> From my experiences with the Core Team and this community, the best way to get things chaged is as follows...

I have a better idea, have the leaders of this project put their heads togeather, come up with soluations to the issues that have been rasied time and time and time again. Then propose those solutions to the community for input. Go back tot he drawing back with that input, edit what needs to be then lay the ground work for change with the new policies and procedures.

And frankly im tried as well of all this jabbing and nothing gets done.

You need to bring someone new with mgt skills and give that someone ~4 months and the authority to make REAL change (yes that may mean cutting some people and bringing in new blood with fresh ideas and ways of doing things). A change that reaches out to the community, not thinks of them as a after thought. Or ones who keeps repeating the same missteps over and over.

Because you people have used the carrot too much IMO, and now you need to use the stick. A little house cleaning and re-orginization I think is exactly what this project needs IMO.

You wanted specific input there you go.

Jharis
  • 2006/1/4 0:33

• Jharis

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/2/13

This thread should be about comparing mambo to joomla. Let's get back on topic. Create a new thread to continue this banter.

don (el paso)
motto - green chili for everything!

alitan
  • 2006/1/4 7:28

• alitan

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/3/14

Hi,
@Bender:
I just wanted to say that I will not move to JOOMLA! . But, instead to another project forked from XOOPS(The name to be announced later!) , and that is because I love XOOPS itself! Nevertheless, if I the changes here, I may hang around here as well!
My Persian Xoops Project:
http://www.MPXP.org

MadFish
  • 2006/1/4 11:43

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Quote:
To be quite honest, I am much more interested in the politics and sociology of forking projects. This is a good opportunity to look at what they did or didn't do and to try to understand what we can learn. What caused their break? What has caused our breaks? What is gained and/or lost by forking? Who does forking affect? Is forking good or bad and to whom? Does forking affect productivity? Does it aid innovation? How has forking affected Xoops?

Forking is just evolution in action - a lot of branches lead nowhere, some produce better designs, and others produce products that serve a different purpose. The occasional fork is probably a good thing not to be feared (unless it is accompanied by destructive infighting).

XOOPS is a product of previous forks, in that it is the descendant of other CMS.

Login

Who's Online

150 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 150

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits