draj
Re: NOT listed at opensourceCMS.com! Why?
  • 2006/1/31 15:48

• draj

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/6/23

Hello!

Quote:

Poslanik wrote:
So, sorry but I'm a bit confused. 2.2.3 will be continued but 2.2.4 won't? If 2.2.4 won't will there be an "outdate" option where webmasters can roll back their XOOPS versions since they won't benefit from discontinued version.

I understand your confusion.

I can assure you (not officially, I am a user!) that there is no version planned to be discontinued. Simply try to understand the two versions and their differences. They differ in their features und programming quality.

Version 2.2.4 is simply making some of the scripts in 2.2.3 more secure and stable. It is not a real full version but only a part. The problems that appeared in the last few months has been incorporated in those scripts supplied in the file.

The version 2.0.xx.x has been existed for a longer time and has undergone a bit vigourous testing. Hence you can be more secure about very small bugs into and can use it on a production site. Most of the conflicts have been solved also at the module developers level as many module developers have brought up tested versions with this.

On the otherside, the version 2.2.3 with the latest upgrade to 2.2.4 is a bit newer one. Hence there may be small bugs or compatibility issues that either they are not yet solved or not yet identified.

So you may decide on your own, if you want to use the older version 2.0.13.2 with a choice of a script more vigorously tested and is stable but with less features or use the stable version of 2.2.4 (2.2.3 + upgrade 2.2.4) with more features and some tiny bits yet to be modified or less important.

Both versions will be continued and will merge into one version ONE day. U can be sure.

Lance_
  • 2006/1/31 15:50

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

Resized Image
GDL-Web.com :: Website development.
Xoopslance.com::Freelancing and Projects
thelionsden-arena.net:: Clan/League/Ladder Hosting

tom
  • 2006/1/31 15:56

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

deepy,

I would have to disagree to some point, in that crowding one page with tones of info might just make it worse.

but as I originall suggested:

Quote:

Xoops Recomended version for production sites:

XOOPS 2.0.13.2 Full
(released 2005/10/28)

XOOPS 2.0.13.1 to 2.0.13.2 upgrade patch
(released 2005/10/28)

Xoops Trail Versions (Not Recommended for production sites)

XOOPS 2.2.3 Final
(released 2005/10/30)

XOOPS 2.2.3 Final to 2.2.4 upgrade patch
(released 2006/01/23)

By all means include the info you have mentioned, but not here, maybe include it on the download page, so that the home page of XOOPS doesn't become more clutered.

I proposed this idea before, and still think it would be a better way, and
Kind Regards.
Tom

http://bassmanthemes.com
http://www.xoopslance.com

draj
  • 2006/1/31 16:01

• draj

• Quite a regular

Hallo Tom!

May I ask you why do you say not to use the version 2.2.3 or 2.2.3 + 2.2.4 on a production site?

Did I miss something?

I am using it on a production site!

terrion
  • 2006/2/20 16:00

• terrion

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/9/19

I just stumbled upon this thread and am horrified. Suddenly my little trouble with xDonations doesn't seem very important at all!

Just two weekends ago I migrated to 2.2.x and must have been asleep at the wheel. I don't remember any obvious warnings that this was the wrong thing to do for a production site. Was the new logo blocking the detour sign?

Not that I'm having any trouble with 2.2.4 though. I rather like it actually. Guess the worst case scenerio then is that I'm stuck here forever?

Actually, never upgrading again is starting to sound better and better. Might get a weekend off one these days. I've wondered what normal people do with all that free time.
Terrion
Purchase, renew, or transfer your domain name to Ultranet Domains and get a FREE 10GB hosting account. Virtual Dedicated Servers around $35/monthly, no contract. FREE 24/7 telephone ...

draj
  • 2006/2/20 16:07

• draj

• Quite a regular

Hi!

I am also using it on a production site.

II find it a bit too much to continue this state of unhealthy Versioning and postponing of Upgrade possibilities with 2.2.4!

People get confused. Users who uses or made update has to wait for ages before 2.4 comes out. This is a punishment not deserved at all.

On one side XOOPS lacks a lot of functions that Joomla and other CMS has. Now there is one more gigantic stricke that 2.2.4 users have to sit down and pray to god, before the CORE team breaks-ups. Hope this does not happen here AGAIN like it did with Mambo!

However, if you are using 2.2.4, sleep well as I DO NOT think it is as buggy as being populated into others head. The CORE programmers have taken a careful distance to discuss over this matter and silently continue to program 2.3, which I hope comes out one day!

allnewtome
  • 2006/2/20 16:07

• allnewtome

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/11/30

Well I'm using 2.2.3 and it seems to be OK (had to fix a couple of bugs but can't remember what they were now). I'm not going to upgrade to 2.2.4 as it'll probably introduce more bugs

draj
  • 2006/2/20 16:11

• draj

• Quite a regular

Hi!

No, probably reduce the ones that are there!

Pl. read whats in there and why upgrade to 2.2.4! Its better!!!

rabideau
  • 2006/3/11 2:56

• rabideau

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/4/25

As a person with 14 (I know I'm crazy) 2.2.x sites, I'm not too worried about migration or upgrades. I think I'll bypass version 2.3 as I've been told it is for v 2.0.x users. Version 2.4.x is supposedly where I'll upgrade again.

I don't think that this is too confusing... unless I'm wrong!

As for why we're not listed on opensourceCMS... I still don't understand it. Perhaps we need a XOOPS marketing campaign. We aren't the only software community to have gone through an upgrade hickup... and we're not likely to be the last.

Anyone want to work on getting the XOOPS message out???
Pax vobiscum,
...mark

may the road rise to meet your feet!

http://treemagic.org

wtravel

I believe Rabideau you are even posting this message in a forum called 'Spread XOOPS project' .

It is because of unclear communication in the past on the subject that XOOPS was removed from the list. But since obviously an official 'recommended' status has been assigned to one of the versions, I guess it is time to send out the update to opensourceCMS.com.

If you have ideas for the marketing project, please have a look at the Spread XOOPS project forum.

Login

Who's Online

177 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 177

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits