jdseymour
Re: Xoops 2.2 upgrade totally messed up templates system

Well I understand. I think this should be submitted as a bug. The script should exit and not duplicate entries. I could not get the other site repaired due to the fact it had a mixture of 2.2 and 2.0.13 settings. So I think the install script itself needs a look at also.

Thanks for testing it rowdie. Me with no coding experience makes it rough to know about problems such as this.

rowdie
  • 2005/7/30 16:01

• rowdie

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/7/21

I agree, the install script needs to be changed.

tim, if you want me to try to help fix your databases just pm me.

Otherwise, I suggest you either go back to a backup, or try to removed the added records by hand. The first record to go is the extra 'system module' in the 'xoopsprefix_modules' table - removing that will stop the constant refreshing. Then the main ones are in 'groups', 'groups_users_link' and 'group_permission'. The extra blocks can be deleted later through admin, if all goes well...

tim1980
  • 2005/7/31 3:47

• tim1980

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/11/5

Thanks for your help guys. I'll try to repair my database and let you know how I go with that. Thanks for the offer of help rowdie, I'll ask you if I'm unsuccessful.

OKay well looks like I've stuffed up my sites and running the install script on them again. I did use the same database prefix table. I only run the install scripts again because the upgrade script did'nt pick everything up and my sites where full of bugs and both just stopped working after I had changed settings in the System prefs...

tim1980
  • 2005/7/31 13:02

• tim1980

• Not too shy to talk

Thanks for the suggestions, I went into my database and cleaned out some duplicate things i could find where u suggested. It solved the page reloading issue, but I cannot get the blocks back for users that are not logged in.

I can now log in and when logged in the site is working again but I don't know what to do to resolve al the curruption.

The PM module is stuffed and is duplicated e everywhere and wont let me uninstall it either. I get a black page when i run its uninstall script for it.

Any sugestions?

MikeFalcor
  • 2005/7/31 15:13

• MikeFalcor

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/6/21

I was smart about the whole thing...as soon as I saw that 2.2 was available, I backed up my DB and my pub_html dir so that if I didn't like what was about to happen, I could just reupload everything and be right back to how it was. So I tried 2.2, realized that the whole theming system was changed, not to mention that the generation of blank pages really got annoying... So...I tried to take a look at the css files to try and get my colors back...a lot of things had changed in the css settings and there were NO comments in the file to give a clue as to what did what, trial and error time I guess. Got my theme running the way I wanted (which means I made Fydarkblack 2...lol. So fydarkblack was working fine. 3 modules I had installed were completely lost within the new Xoops. These are three modules I cannot do without, so that was the determining factor. I see here that the blank page issue was caused by gzip...so THAT annoyance I could have fixed, but as for the modules prob, no way.

BOOM! Uploaded my XOOPS 2.0.13 site and DB and now my site runs perfectly yet again.

Note to EVERYONE that updates ANYTHING from ANY version: BACK IT UP FIRST!!!

Edit : In retrospect, perhaps I didn't give 2.2 enough time...but, how can I go from a stable release with NO problems to a stable release with (in my case) more problems than I would like to handle on my own? 20 minutes was my timelimit. If I couldn't get the modules to work, I didn't want the uber new! LOL

Dave_L
  • 2005/7/31 15:36

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

My personal philosophy is "never trust anything new".

The developers, especially Mithrandir, worked very hard on 2.2, and did a pretty good job, in my opinion.

But with anything new, whether it's software, hardware, or a new car, there's is always going to be the unexpected.

You should never upgrade to a new version without making a complete backup first, and making sure you know how to restore the backup if that becomes necessary.

In addition, you may want to test the upgrade first on a clone of your current installation, and exercising all the features to check for problems.

Also, it's a good idea to monitor the forums here, and the sf.net bug tracker, to see if anyone else is experiencing problems.

tim1980
  • 2005/8/1 1:28

• tim1980

• Not too shy to talk

Too bad I did'nt make a backup... Does anyone know of any good tutorials on how to make backups and how to restore the backups?

MadFish
  • 2005/8/1 5:23

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Check the XOOPS FAQ, I'm pretty sure there is backup info in there. One thing I would like to add is that it is worth checking that your backup actually *works* occasionally.

I backed up with a new tool the other day and on restore found that data is inserted into the wrong table columns. I can shift it back but its going to be a few unecessary hours of work!

jdseymour

Well, part of running a web site is backing up. If your web site has any content that you do not want to loose, backups are essential. The most important backup with a CMS is the database backup, as that is were all content is stored. I personally do a database backup once a day, using cron and native MySQL commandline code. I have written two articles outlining the method of backup and restore. Bluenova's module site uses this method to restore the database with cron every hour or so.

The articles are:

Regular Database Backup with Cron (Updated) and MySQL Database Restore

As for the home directory, I back it up manually when I make changes to the files (as in add a new module) or once a week or so to backup regular changes such as e-mail Ect.

HTH.

rowdie
  • 2005/8/1 6:56

• rowdie

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/7/21

If your site is still messed up, you could ask your host if they'd be able to restore a backup for you. Of course, it's much better if you have made your own backups, and some hosts may not do it, but in an emergency it might be possible...

Backup your database and files now though, before doing anything else!

Login

Who's Online

225 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 225

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits