DobePhat
Re: Forum: show all posts since last time on?
  • 2005/3/1 7:29

• DobePhat

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/15

First: as always my team an I appreciate all the wonderful work done and explored in newwbb2. That said let me share why we havent yet updated.

Part of the problem with newbb2 IMO is
All these dropdown menus. Slows stuff up big time, every site I go to with it (including this one) it just gets terribly slow. Either its overkill or the direct issue has still not been resolved.

Topics since last visit. or/and
All topics unread.

These have been requested features for the past two years.
The 'dynamacism' of the newbb2 look great, I understand that the dropdown menus provide for a cleaner look.

Has anyone disbled these dropdowns and just used a few of the actual important links instead? Is it any faster? And, is this feature as DOn brought up already available?

-Thanks again. we really want to do something about our forums on our site. (adding such a feature) but it appears like we have to go by way of one of these "outside" mods.
what is the reason we cant do this in xoops.?Is it because of the integration into the core? etc. I assume so.

People have always sort of complained about newbb being minimal as far as forums go. Many times our users ask why our forum "doesn't do that or this".

Our reply?

"well, our site is NOT just a forum. It's the overall pacakage, the overall integration thats important." true isnt it? But since we are fine tuning...

If we really start looking into why this feature wasn't implemented long ago, what will we find? And, how about an alternative way of adding it other than newbb2 (if it exists in that)?

BTW:
Cheerz and" shout outs" to all! We've been "too preoccupied" with our evergrowing site,powered by xoops, and we owe a great deal to this wonderful community! XOOPS KIX!

123Testing
  • 2005/3/1 8:08

• 123Testing

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/3 1

Quote:

DonXoop wrote:
Am I missing something? The Unread Topic pulldown option seems to work for me.

Don, the issue is that there is no 'view unread messages'. Yes, you can view unread topics and that's what I use on this board to help me target new material, but it takes time to weed through messages I've already read to get to the new material.
What is being said here is many find this a needed function that comes standard with most other forum scripts. Forum users expect and use this function. It's absense is a liability to a site.
How can we add, or get this function added to the forums?

Thanks...

Peekay
  • 2005/3/1 13:02

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Quote:

phppp wrote:
Isn't is already in NewBB 2?

Well, I would have hoped you would know... according to the NewBB tracker over at dev.xoops.org, you are one of the developers!? Can you and Predator say nothing about what is going to happen regarding this issue?. I installed Invision Power Board mod. It has a new posts feature, so it can be achieved in Xoops.

The lack of comment from the developers on something that is clearly stopping people from using NewBB is very dissapointing, given the excellent support otherwise found on Xoops.org. It also reflects poorly on the level of support users can expect to receive if a security loophole is discovered in the module.

I'm sad to agree, but I think 123Testing summed it up perfectly.
Quote:
Forum users expect and use this function. It's absense is a liability to a site.

phppp
  • 2005/3/1 14:48

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Quote:

Peekay wrote:
Quote:

phppp wrote:
Isn't is already in NewBB 2?

Well, I would have hoped you would know... according to the NewBB tracker over at dev.xoops.org, you are one of the developers!? Can you and Predator say nothing about what is going to happen regarding this issue?. I installed Invision Power Board mod. It has a new posts feature, so it can be achieved in Xoops.

The lack of comment from the developers on something that is clearly stopping people from using NewBB is very dissapointing, given the excellent support otherwise found on Xoops.org. It also reflects poorly on the level of support users can expect to receive if a security loophole is discovered in the module.

I'm sad to agree, but I think 123Testing summed it up perfectly.
Quote:
Forum users expect and use this function. It's absense is a liability to a site.

Dear Peekay, although I do not understand your request well but, anyway, thanks for your comments.
I would clarify a little: I am just a volunteer to the NewBB 2 Project and helped develop it and hope I would do more for it. From yesterday, I changed something, moved/closed most of my projects from dev.xoops.org
And I hope you can reommend some developers who have better skill and more spare time to the dev.xoops and the NewBB project.

BTW: I am glad to develop paid modules for you.

phppp
  • 2005/3/1 14:57

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Peekay, glad that you have found your preferred module.
If not mind, here is the NewBB 2's project page where I used to work with:
http://dev.xoops.org/modules/xfmod/project/?newbb

feel free to contact the developers if you would come back to newbb some day.

Quote:

Peekay wrote:
Quote:
Keep hopin'...

As of last week, I have stopped hoping. Every discussion board I know of has a new posts feature except NewBB. It was the first and only significant problem I saw about using Xoops. One of my very first posts in this forum was a query about this in November 2004. Since then I've seen a dozen posts asking why it can't be implemented. I eventually asked a direct question in this post in early February 2005.

To date, the developers of NewBB have never responded to any of the posts about this issue, so I am left to assume the answer is that a) it can't be done and b) there are no plans to do it.

I like the look of NewBB and the PDF feature is cool. But topics are lost from the recent posts block in a matter of hours so are out of sight for those that visit just once a day, unless of course they choose to review the content of every forum. A forum is a core component of a portal and it is a significant decision which one to use. With so little feedback about the plans for NewBB I have resigned myself to using the IPB board from www.bbpixel.com.

Actually, I'm glad I have, because this has been bugging me for too long!

Peekay
  • 2005/3/1 15:42

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Thx for updating us on your involvement phppp. Apart from this particular issue, I think NewBB is an excellent module. I am sure your work on it to date is appreciated by everyone that uses it.

Login

Who's Online

263 user(s) are online (154 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 263

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits