domineaux
Re: Looking for a good classified ads module
  • 2004/6/24 0:35

• domineaux

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/9/29

If you install noah on a sub-domain I see no problem.

I'm curious why you need a sub-domain. All you need to do is install the noah in folder just like XOOPS and it will have it's own MySql db. The database issues can be very difficult if you use the same MySql for XOOPS and Noah. My gosh with a huge number of ads...awful.

Noah is a freebie to users, but you can contact the dev of noah and you might be able to buy a noah with some revenue controls pretty cheap. It is a mature program and the dev of it advertises inexpensive alterations in Noah.

I don't recommend paying for any alterations until you're totally knowlegeable about how the program works and you know exactly where you need to go from where you are.

damjam
  • 2004/6/24 18:00

• damjam

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/30

Quote:

Remember, if you had a version of Noah ported to XOOPS all those big files would be in the MySql of your XOOPS install. If an upgrade of either XOOPS or Noah comes out you can have some issues with your database, permissions,etc.

Good point domineaux. I hadn't considered that. I haven't though much about the implications, but I wonder if Noah could be hacked to remove the registration/login then make a link to it available only to members of a XOOPS site. In other words, once the XOOPS member is logged in to the XOOPS site, the block with the link to Noah becomes available and they wouldn't have to log in again. Any thoughts?

Anonymous
  • 2004/6/24 18:08

• Anonymous

• Since:

Question, How long does it take to hack and port something like Noah into Xoops?

domineaux
  • 2004/6/24 21:22

• domineaux

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2002/9/29

Think about it.

If you put the classifieds into a separate folder on the server and you have only one link to it from the multimenu.

You can set your group permissions in XOOPS fro the Multimenu for registered users and webmasters. That way the users would have to register first to access the classifieds. When users first start using your site you can talk about classifieds as a benefit for users to register. As long as you don't publish the direct link to the Noah, they can't access Noah.

Of course you'd still have a login and registration at the Noah, which is much less involved than Xoops.

Sure, users could directly go around XOOPS to the Classifieds by specific hyperlink. There is still a login on Noah.

After your site is up for a while and you're getting a pretty good number of hits there will be users going directly to the classifieds, email their friends with direct links, etc. The way I see it...I want users to use the Classfieds and I do have a login process to eliminate the troublemakers.

You can explain to users you have a separate database file for your classfieds for security and protection of users. Hey, they'll appreciate it.

To be very honest...it's gonna be very hard when you're applying other devs mods and hacks to your site, "to always get what you want, but you might get what you need".

------

damjam
  • 2004/6/24 23:11

• damjam

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/30

Thanks domineaux. What is the URL to your site? I'd like to see what multi menu looks like and how your Noah site looks after you modified the styles. damjamjim

Forlorndeeds

Gosh! How did you make your template fit?
I'm having so many problems with it. lol.
I tried switching it over to template2.php. And I can't customie it, beacause it's ALL in php. =/
Can you show us your template, or maybe code?
Would be so much help!

Login

Who's Online

151 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 151

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits