joelg
Re: From personal experience
  • 2004/2/13 8:26

• joelg

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/10/14

Ah yes, one thing I forgot to add about Typo3. I noticed that in their roadmap they talk about adding "staging". In other words, the ability to put the entire web site out to flat files. Now THAT is a function I would like to have. That way, if for some awful reason my entire site goes belly-up, the XOOPS team loses interest, or any other major catastrophe happens, I can get my site up and running in bog-standard HTML anywhere in the world. I see the light!!
But Typo3 is still too complicated for anyone who doesn't need full-blown professional site I think

paxnet
  • 2004/2/20 19:13

• paxnet

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/11

Mambo.... Great Mambo!

Mambo installation is fast and fine.
Layout of Mambo is excellent.
Administration menu is excellent.
It is really easy makes Mambo themes.
Quote:
it seems to lack in flexibility and the administration area may be easy to use, but this is also due to limited features available.

I am trying Mambo now. It is all i need, simple, flexible in its simplicity.
Good things are simple Things, nothing more.

XOOPS is so good but Mambo beats XOOPS because is simple.
Naturally XOOPS has more sets than Mambo.
Mambo it is so good to content site.
Xoops it is so good to comunity.

If you want a content site use Mambo.
If you want a comunity site use XOOPS.

I am in doubt: if my site intend to be a comunity site i will change it from PHPNUKE to XOOPS, if not ( content site) i will change it from PHPNUKE to Mambo.

In time: PHPNUKE has many, many, many blocks, and modules thna XOOPS, that is the way why so many peaple use PHPNUKE.

A Great dream Mamboxoops portal. Merge Mambo to Xoops.

Escuse-me for my English.

Regards

krayc
  • 2004/3/11 14:19

• krayc

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/2/17

I've spent 2 years looking at every open-source CMS I could find. I spent months working with ZOPE/Plone. And finally switched to XOOPs, why? First your interface out of the box was easy to understand, So I could tolerate the lack of documenation.

Second, it was OO (i've yet to confirm that by writing a module)
Third most of the functionality I needed is already written by the core team and enthusiastic other users.

But for me to invest my time in module dev. I need what I state below. Yes you will get a lot done by tenacious hackers, but I believe more world-class modules will be developed when there is 'world-class' support for those developers.

(and yes I've joined the DOCS team)

The only real thing holding back XOOPs is documentation.

And I say this again, and again.

The software is easy to use, more or less, so user docs are nice to have....

BUT... clear concise documentation, with best practices promoted in each of these: Recipes, and how-tos, examples, examples, example. Most programmers learn by example, not by studying the theory of an api, or browsing lists of variables available. Speaking for myself, I can learn quicker by example. Also a plain english/french/etc... overview of why things are done the way they are in the CORE of XOOPs. Ie for other module developers to succeed in keeping with the CORE Teams thinking, we have to know what that thinking is.

krayc

theprof
  • 2004/8/5 15:12

• theprof

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/7/14

"Mambo
Now we are cooking with charcoal (yeah, Pratchett fan)
Mambo installation was fast and fine.
Layout of Mambo is excellent."

I dont know why I am having so much trouble installing this then....

I have been trying to install mambo for like..hmm 2 days now...not working!

I t does look great though...

I have also been looking at this new CMS

MaxDev...

LOOKS GREAT ALSO....has planety of modules...

Its just the Block/Permission system is killing me right now....

Xoops is much easier to modify

But the themes/templates look better than most XOOPS templates...

They evolved i think 3 CMS in one...

Also, changing themes is much harder on this MaxDev...Im still playing with it though....we will see

prof

m0nty
  • 2004/8/5 17:07

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

interesting reading :)

and my conclusion is that i'm staying with xoops!!

it is very easy to install,and without problems. especially if you actually read the instructions and follow them..

in most cases of installation problems it is due to people not reading and following instructions regarding file & folder permissions.

the documentation is poor, but this has been addressed and documentation is being written :) but the community and info available on this site (if people take the time to look and make use of the SEARCH function) more than make up for it.

excluding third party modules all the problems you are likely to encounter have been addressed and replied to and solved in most cases and can usually be found just by searching or the problem.

third party module developers are also very quick to respond to problems wth their modules too, and play a very active role in the community on this site too.

barring a few cases most quetions and problems are answered very quickly sometimes in less than a day, and very rarely does a problem or question get left unaswered for longer than a day or 2.

there could be more modules available. but comparing the quantity available for Nuke isn't fair really as XOOPS hasn't been around as long as them.
The developers are doing the best they can in the time they have, but as said previously, the lack of modules compared to other CMS is due to the fact there isn't enuff developers. This will change in time tho.

All in all, XOOPS and its developers are doing an excellent job, and this happens to be the best and friendliest community I have ever come across, and i've been online on/off for the last 18 years since the days of text based BBS and expensive 300baud modems.. lol and etremely high phone bills..

Login

Who's Online

239 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 239

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits