josecruz
Re: preventing multiple simultaneous logins *URGENT*
  • 2003/10/12 1:51

• josecruz

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/3/28

Quote:
I have not tested it yet, just a thought. You could utilize the custom session with GIJOE's hack.

For example, if you set

$online_handler->gc( 300 );

to 5 minutes, you could set the custom session to expire in 4 minutes - in essence, you force the user offline. Any user will have to wait for 1 minute afterwards to log in. This way it will make sure there is only one user in the system.

sorry, I'm not really sure how to work on this "custom session" do you think you could show me what you're thinking in code?

thanks again for the help.

Jose

tl
  • 2003/10/12 1:58

• tl

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/6/23

Quote:
sorry, I'm not really sure how to work on this "custom session" do you think you could show me what you're thinking in code?

To set custom session, admin->control panel->Preferences->General Settings

josecruz
  • 2003/10/12 2:08

• josecruz

• Just popping in

Unfortunately my server uses php 4.1.x so I can7t use custom timed sessions

Any other suggestions?

Jose

tl
  • 2003/10/12 3:02

• tl

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/6/23

Nope. Maybe GIJOE will have better suggestions.

I tested the custom session setting. It did not work.

For now, I would suggest set a longer time. But if the user knows the trick, setting to a longer time will not help but irritate your users if they forget to logout.

josecruz
  • 2003/10/12 3:14

• josecruz

• Just popping in

Quote:
For now, I would suggest set a longer time.

that's exactly what I did...

Quote:
But if the user knows the trick, setting to a longer time will not help but irritate your users if they forget to logout.

and exactly what I thought

I hope GIJOE has some new ideas. Thanks for the help tl.

Jose

m0nty
  • 2004/4/15 1:41

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

another problem that will arise and irritate some users if the custom session was shortened to 4 minutes is the fact that sometimes when browsing or reading a forum post or even when typing your reply..

if it takes u longer than 4 minutes to reply to type your reply.. ie the kettle boils and u make a cuppa or the phone rings etc..

you finish ur reply, hit submit and then get an error because ur session has timed out and u have to login again... hence in sum cases u would have to totally re-write ur reply again..

you could look into issuing a permanent cookie that's seperate from the session cookie..

ie each user (if this method is enabled) will have a permanent cookie with a keycode or some other identification in it.. if that cookie is not found on ur computer then the user will not be able to login.

if this cookie is mistakenly deleted the user could request a new cookie to be issued by the use of a registration key or something.. or the webmaster cud issue a new cookie via email which the user would copy to their cookie folder.

this would be ideal for intranet sites in companies and would make only 1 pc per user access.. of course on internet if u at your friends house then u wouldn't be able to login from there unless u kept a copy of ur cookie with you (maybe save ur cookie in a web based email acct) i maybe way out here driving on the impossible, i can't seem to put into text exactly what i was thinking..

Login

Who's Online

148 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 148

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits