msdana
Re: (X)HTML Validation
  • 2006/5/28 4:09

• msdana

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/12/11

However, they don't have buttons or imply that they are validated
[size=x-small]If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining.[/size]
Graphic Worx : Xoops Themes

gestroud
  • 2006/5/28 4:11

• gestroud

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/12/22

Boy. It failed all of us who posted in this thread

msdana
  • 2006/5/28 4:13

• msdana

• Just can't stay away

LOL, I don't want to fail! Teacher, I want to go to the head of the class and learn how to validate!!
[size=x-small]If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining.[/size]

gestroud
  • 2006/5/28 4:16

• gestroud

• Home away from home

Yes. That's exactly what I did with exactly the same results. It failed with 12 errors. Can't figure out why that is.

McDonald
  • 2006/5/28 4:17

• McDonald

• Home away from home

• Since: 2005/8/15

I think most sites just put a 'XHTML validated' picture on their website, because it looks 'good'.

For example:http://www.warpigw2.com/

msdana
  • 2006/5/28 4:19

• msdana

• Just can't stay away

OK, that's just plain WRONG! Not to mention misleading!

But you may be right, McDonald.

gestroud
  • 2006/5/28 4:22

• gestroud

• Home away from home

Just checked a bunch of themes on two of the XOOPS themes library. NONE of them are valid. Starting to wonder if the validator is valid.

snow77
  • 2006/5/28 4:28

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/7/23

lol, we haven't cleaned up the html of xoopsdesign default theme. I guess the following popular spanish saying applies to us: "en casa del herrero, cuchillo de palo" ("In the blacksmith's house, a wooden knife.")

Validating can be tricky depending on the modules and blocks you have activated at your home page.

I usually validate having just the news module activated, when no errors show I start activating other modules to see if their templates need fixing. Sometimes the theme passes the test and the module templates are the ones that start messing up the validation.
www.polymorphee.com
www.xoopsdesign.com

JMorris
  • 2006/5/28 4:30

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

The problem is that you are trying to validate a file that is not fully parsed. Given the information you've provided, I'm assuming that you're uploading the theme.html file directly to validate it. This will never work. reason being, the validator is ignorant of Smarty variables, which is where it bombs out.

Case in point, you mentioned that the validator fails at <{$xoops_charset}>, which is the first Smarty variable in a theme.

The only solution I know for this is to maintain a testing environment where themes can be fully parsed before the validator sees theme. A quick and dirty approach would be to keep a seperate install of XOOPS in a sub directory on your site, like so...

http://yoursite.com/testing/

There, you would test new designs. Since Smarty is a server side language, by placing your theme in a "live" environment, you ensure that the Smarty code is properly parsed, and therefore obtain an acurate evaluation of your theme's compliance.

On a side note...

IMHO, NO site should display buttons claiming XHTML/CSS compliance unless ALL pages validate. This is why I do not display such buttons on my XOOPS sites and I do not include these buttons in my themes. Because of the poor XHTML/CSS coding practices of many Devs, I know the site will fail on, at least, some pages by default.

Speaking from experience, it's a real PITA to make a XOOPS site fully standards compliant. It is my hope that, in the future, it will be mandatory that all modules be standards compliant.

Hope this clears things up.

Best Regards,

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

gestroud
  • 2006/5/28 4:31

• gestroud

• Home away from home

Quote:
"en casa del herrero, cuchillo de palo" ("In the blacksmith's house, a wooden knife."

I know what you mean. I can't think of one mechanic I know who has a car that works properly.

Login

Who's Online

258 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 258

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits