RealyRoten
Re: Xoops Gaming Themes?
  • 2005/9/16 8:54

• RealyRoten

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/8/18

We always messing with the theme trying to get it some were near.
Xoops is a great system and ideal for gaming sites. Hopefully more game related modules and blocks with come available in time.

FPS IntelzoneResized Image
change my email address please to pattang2008@hotmail.com so i can get update notifications...

JMorris
  • 2005/9/16 9:43

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Quote:

tvepsorg wrote:

I expected this response from the leading producer of boring XOOPS themes.

I like the whole version 2, and 3, and 4. Where all you do is change a few colors. That's so awesome.

Well, that's your opinion and that's fine. I didn't make those themes for you, I made them for people who like the same type of themes I do; clean, simple, and fast.

The different versions address bugs. There has only been 1 theme where there was an official "version 2", that being the LOTR theme. If you take the time to study the source code of that theme, you'll find that a) it started it's life as the "Default" theme and b) is a solid starting point for gaming themes. The LOTR (v1) theme was the first theme I released. After that theme, I learned more, got better, and released a second version that fixed a ton of bugs.

I apologise for being so harsh in my last post. That was uncalled for on my part.

The main purpose behind my post was this... You can complain that XOOPS doesn't have what you want and at the end of the day, XOOPS still won't have what you want. OR You can learn something new (like how to design a theme) and contribute it back to the community.

That's the thing, XOOPS is a community, not just software and themes. We ALL are responsible for how powerful XOOPS is, how beautiful XOOPS is, how secure XOOPS is, etc. This is accomplished by each member of XOOPS contributing his/her talents to the community to make it better. This includes YOU.

You are a XOOPS member. In your mind, there is a deficite in XOOPS. If it bothers you that much, make it YOUR responsibility to fix it. If you wait for everyone else to do it for you, you're going to be waiting a looooong time.

@Bassman,

Thanks for the show of support.

Best Regards,

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

tvepsorg
  • 2005/9/18 17:14

• tvepsorg

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/5/18

I too apologize for my harshness, it's just very frustrating hearing so many people compliment how BornSlacker.com is so clean and well organized compared to most gaming sites made with phpnuke. XOOPS is indeed a far superior cms when it comes to code. I think it would only take a few really good gaming themes to bring in a bunch of gaming nuts who DO know how to make more themes and then XOOPS would have it all.

Again, I apologize for my harshness. Thank you for bringing to XOOPS what you do.

Arowana
  • 2005/9/18 17:49

• Arowana

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/8/6 2

www.soegamers.com is one we ported from nuke-php

we have a few others but they are not online anymore.

Rather then complain about it all why dont you tell people here what you would like to see in a theme and request it.

Another option is to go to www.rentacoder.com, set up an account and let people from around the world bid on your theme project. I have seen some people bid as low as 50 bucks but as high as 500 depending on what you would like.

It would be a lot less debatable and not cause so much drama.

As soon as we get something else online I will post.
Arowana

warrick
  • 2005/10/28 22:06

• warrick

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/9/30

We have 197 themes at GoXoops.com - about 50 of which are gaming themes!

Jharis
  • 2005/10/28 23:15

• Jharis

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/2/13

tvepsorg,

You have a good site.

You might also try a free gamer theme or a custom paid theme from clan template. You'll need someone to convert their themes to XOOPS for you. Clantemplates also ask that you leave their brand link somewhere in the theme. Maybe contact snow, bassman, warrick to do the convert. Sure it will cost a few bucks but you may get an even nicer site out of it. Yeah... I know it's not free. Just thought I would suggest.

don (el paso)
motto - green chili for everything!

Jharis
  • 2005/10/28 23:17

• Jharis

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/2/13

Warrick,

Nice job on converting so many themes quickly.

don (el paso)
motto - green chili for everything!

Bassman
  • 2005/10/29 1:57

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/5/23

I've recently done a Half Life 2 theme (See HL2) on the theme selector at my site)I did it as a one-off that hopefully someone will want to buy as a custom.

Will_H
  • 2005/10/29 4:57

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

ya its a pretty nice mod on your clan-dark.

I think that your sticker price is directly going to affect overall interest in the theme. Perhaps what would drive more people to purchase the HL2 theme, and any other mods you decide to do, is including things that they cannot simply manipulate from your free clan-dark.

I do like that you included the right block table in the HL2 version. But again, it seems that when it comes down to it your overall theme has not changed. just some colors and pictures.

Im not trying to offend you in any way. I love that you put up your clan dark for free to encourage users to get comfortable with your theme style. Its just that if you plan on pushing that into high sales traffic, you will need to offer something more extravagant in the themes that you are peddling.

Again I feel its a nice theme, However I could duplicate it easily from your free version. Not that I would do that, I just figured you would appreciatte a heads up.

***Oh and since this topic is alive again. I have enemy territory and World of Warcraft themes you can get from HERE They are in the downloads section under XOOPS themes. Feel free to comment on em if ya like. I should also point out that they are Montis Arts Themes modded for those particular games.

Bassman
  • 2005/10/29 5:48

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/5/23

Thanks for the comments.
That theme is not just "manipulated from my clan_dark", although it may seem so. I'm sure you agree that most, if not all, themes are based on the Header-three column-Footer layout, or variations thereof. Given the nature of XOOPS and other CMS's, it's a bit hard to stray far from that since blocks and module content are lined up in those columns. I spent a fair bit of time giving the center left, centercenter and center right blocks a different look, although it's not obvious on my site because I don't have much content on those blocks :)
Anyhow, I can assure you that it's not just a matter of changing a few colors and pictures, even if that's what you have done in the modifications to the Montisarts themes.
I would be interested in some suggestions about how to change the "look" of a theme without the obvious use of more graphics (which I could do, but choose not to).
Over to you.

Login

Who's Online

169 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 169

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits