BansheeBob
Re: Forum: show all posts since last time on?
  • 2005/2/22 5:28

• BansheeBob

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/19

I liked the Layout of XOOPS and the different options in Modules. I needed a change for one. Glad I did make the change, this is so much easier for me to work with.

tvepsorg
  • 2005/2/22 7:34

• tvepsorg

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/5/18

I could think of 3 ways you can accomplish this. One (wouldn't really work as well for busy sites) you could make a block with the most recent posts, see where you left off and where the new ones began.

Second in the newbb2 you have the options to mark all of the posts "read". Do that before you leave and then when you come back click the "view unread posts".

Finally, you could set the notification options for each forum and have it pm you with all the new posts in that particular forum.

Round-about ways, but pretty much does what you guys are asking for.

123Testing
  • 2005/2/23 6:11

• 123Testing

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/3 1

Quote:

BansheeBob wrote:
Glad I did make the change, this is so much easier for me to work with.

I too find XOOPS easy to work with, at least with the opensoucecms demo. However, (and getting back on topic) not being able to easily call up/view new messages is a large drawback.
I know I keep harping on this... sorry 'bout that. Just hoping that the right person(s) get the message.

123Testing
  • 2005/2/23 6:29

• 123Testing

• Just popping in

Quote:

tvepsorg wrote:
I could think of 3 ways you can accomplish this. One (wouldn't really work as well for busy sites) you could make a block with the most recent posts, see where you left off and where the new ones began.

Not really viable as you indicate.

Quote:

Second in the newbb2 you have the options to mark all of the posts "read". Do that before you leave and then when you come back click the "view unread posts".

'posts' or 'topics'?
All I can see on any of the forum menus is 'View unread topics' under Main Options. Where can I find 'view unread posts'?

Quote:

Finally, you could set the notification options for each forum and have it pm you with all the new posts in that particular forum.

Yeah, I did that with this topic, but this one only. I am not gonna set notifications on every topic on the board!

For this site, what I am currently doing is clicking on 'View unread topics' and then basically choosing which ones to read by looking at the subject headings. The ones I am interested in, I try to remember where I left off last time. This takes a lot of extra time and effort! And as I've said before, it's all too easy to miss (possibly important) messages.

Keep hopin'...

Peekay
  • 2005/2/23 10:30

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Quote:
Keep hopin'...

As of last week, I have stopped hoping. Every discussion board I know of has a new posts feature except NewBB. It was the first and only significant problem I saw about using Xoops. One of my very first posts in this forum was a query about this in November 2004. Since then I've seen a dozen posts asking why it can't be implemented. I eventually asked a direct question in this post in early February 2005.

To date, the developers of NewBB have never responded to any of the posts about this issue, so I am left to assume the answer is that a) it can't be done and b) there are no plans to do it.

I like the look of NewBB and the PDF feature is cool. But topics are lost from the recent posts block in a matter of hours so are out of sight for those that visit just once a day, unless of course they choose to review the content of every forum. A forum is a core component of a portal and it is a significant decision which one to use. With so little feedback about the plans for NewBB I have resigned myself to using the IPB board from www.bbpixel.com.

Actually, I'm glad I have, because this has been bugging me for too long!

tvepsorg
  • 2005/2/23 12:03

• tvepsorg

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/5/18

I understand that the ideas that I listed are not what we want, I was just saying that those were some "temporary" work arounds. I do agree though that there is a huge need for a feature that we are requesting. I think this should be the top priority of the site right now. Every developer should work to fix this one issue, then move on to other stuff. Maybe if we all pm each admin of the site directly they will get the hint. You think couple a hundred pm's in their inbox would get their attention?

Peekay
  • 2005/2/23 14:48

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Nice idea tvepsorg! but I'm not that sure that 'View New Posts' can actually be achieved with NewBB. Otherwise I'm confident the developer would have added this feature long ago. Besides, someone else would have released a code hack to add that functionality. I appreciate that there may be good reasons why this can't be implemented right now. I would have just liked the developers to say whether it will, or will not become a feature in a future release.

phppp
  • 2005/2/28 20:48

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Quote:

sscharf wrote:
This seems like a basic feature, one that other BB's have. How can a users show all topics (or posts?) updated since their last login? Right now, I choose "All Topics", but that is not as powerful.

Am I missing it?

thanks!
steve

Isn't is already in NewBB 2?

123Testing
  • 2005/3/1 2:43

• 123Testing

• Just popping in

Quote:

phppp wrote:
Quote:

sscharf wrote:
This seems like a basic feature, one that other BB's have. How can a users show all topics (or posts?) updated since their last login? Right now, I choose "All Topics", but that is not as powerful.

Am I missing it?

thanks!
steve

Isn't is already in NewBB 2?

Not that I can find, and apparently others as well.

How do I bring this topic/need up to the developers directly? I've already left a feature request, but it is merely 1 of 50, so I am not holding much hope with that route.

DonXoop

Am I missing something? The Unread Topic pulldown option seems to work for me. I even made a link in my header for my users to find handy.

/modules/newbb/viewall.php?start=0&sortname=p.post_time&sortorder=DESC&since=200&type=unread

And
/modules/newbb/viewall.php?type=unread

For All topics in Desc order:
/modules/newbb/viewall.php?start=0&sortname=p.post_time&sortorder=DESC&since=100

And
/modules/newbb/viewall.php

These do the job for me.

Login

Who's Online

206 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 206

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits