irmtfan
Re: Theme Design Q & A - Ask your questions here
  • 2005/1/26 9:59

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

i have a problem with one of my themes.simply it doesnt scroll horizontally only in firefox but in IE it scroll ok.
i dont know so much about theme/css or html thank you for your help about this

mixmaster
  • 2005/1/28 5:19

• mixmaster

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/21

Hello Draven, I'm hoping you can offer some pointers on how to make a block similar to the News block you have on gaining-mass.com. I like how you have different topic sections (i.e General News, GM News, Legal News...) within the News block, each showing the latest news within those sections. I want to make something similar with only 4 sections, but I'm not sure what it requires. Any assistance would be appreciated. Cheers.

Draven
  • 2005/1/28 17:57

• Draven

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/5/28

Hey guys, sorry for the delay in my response. The last few days have been really busy.

I'll answer your questions in detail when I get home tonight.

hyperpod
  • 2005/1/28 18:25

• hyperpod

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/10/4

Very cool trick. Theme developers should use these techniques if releasing a theme, because its very lame to always make space in the theme for 3 columns every time. I think alot do already, but it should usually always be the case :)

I made a new theme and used the same trick, except i used smarty to actually rewrite some style="" stuff I only needed some widths on one line to change depending on the existance of left or right blocks.

actually using the classes and appending numbers is a more robust way to do it :)

The theme I made actually has variable left or right blocks! tricky tricky :)

Thanks for the tips on the smarty/css block things!

carnuke
  • 2005/2/7 17:36

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Any update on this thread? Perhaps someone else has some ideas here?

netwrk219
  • 2005/2/11 14:12

• netwrk219

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/8 1

I am using the exnews theme and want to modify it. In postnuke, i could add blocks, which seems to be different from xoops. postnuke blocks contained specific functions that when placed on a page, would alter the layout. XOOPS seems to rely on the templates more....

Sorry, getting off track in my head.

My question is, on my site, www.ontheshelves.com I want to split the main column into two rows, in the top row, I want to add three columns and force main features or the newest posts from different categories to go there. I am looking for a function like what www.ugo.com or www.ign.com or www.slushfactory.com uses.

Since I am trying to develop a news site, I want a splashy, catching main feature, three "hot" topic fields and then my news listings underneath.

I am more than willing to do the work, actually,id prefer it, so that I can learn, but guidance is always helpful and appreciated, since I am new to xoops. My html skills are fine and i can create any images I might need, but the xoops/php coding is an issue, as well as how it works with the themes...

Thanks, this is a great idea for us who need the resource.

Keith

netwrk219
  • 2005/2/11 14:23

• netwrk219

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/8 1

A little addition. After looking at your links,http://www.fantasyasylum.com/ andhttp://www.gaining-mass.com/ both have the basic idea of what I'm looking to do on their main pages, so I'm sure you can, if you have time, assist me in moving forward. Woohoo!!! BTW---both sites look fantastic. Excellent work.

keith

yoyox
  • 2005/3/11 0:45

• yoyox

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/6 1

How can I create a template for this type of messages:

Sorry, you don't have the permission to access this area.

If the page does not automatically reload, please click here

?????????????

powadha
  • 2005/4/9 13:50

• powadha

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/27

Quote:

Draven wrote:
Ok, here you go.

Get the files athttp://gaining-mass.com/projects/3collayout/

see it in action athttp://gaining-mass.com/projects/3collayout/3%20Column%20CSS%20Layout.html

Something to note, there's a few extra classes in the two css files to handle the hiding of div tags using javascript and shouldn't be required when you are simply loading the page with it hidden. These are just to solve a couple quirks between IE and mozilla when using javascript to change DISPLAY:; settings.

You will need to change the padding setting for IE users on the class .two though or the content will not go full width.

CSS is nice, but with the zillion differences between browsers, it's sometimes a better idea to use one table for the formatting.

Anyway, it can be done as I displayed here.

This also includes a css hack for showing everything at 100% hieght, since I know that's a big question often aswell.

I've tried to get this done on the IMAGO 09 theme

IMAGO 09 THEME

but I guess I have just too little experience to get this done. Could you please help me out on how to get that right block disappear if there is no content in it? I don't use the right block on the forum so it would be realy nice if the forum would expand over the right (empty) block.

With this theme I have one more problem btw. On your example you show the footer going down if there is fill in any of the blocks. Strangely in this imago09 theme the footer only goes down if there is content in the middle block. If not enough fill in the middle block it shows right true the left en right block ignoring any fill.

I do like the soft look of this theme and would realy like to use it.

One more question just out of curiosity: you can make the right block disappear but what about both side blocks? The imago09 theme has some navigation at the top of the page to go back to home (with both side blocks showing) so making both sides disappear on the forum would give it full width?

Regards

xpider
  • 2005/5/7 7:09

• xpider

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/5/9 2

Quote:

yoyox wrote:
How can I create a template for this type of messages:

Sorry, you don't have the permission to access this area.

If the page does not automatically reload, please click here

?????????????

Are you talking about a redirect template?

Login

Who's Online

176 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 176

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits