theprof
Re: The Best FREE Host to support XOOPS???
  • 2004/8/23 5:17

• theprof

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/7/14

http://www.shyper.com/

well, it was nice...but it kept going down..I guess you can not be picky with a free service huh?

davidl2
  • 2004/8/23 6:42

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Which is why I use a paid one: www.3dpixelnet.com

carnuke
  • 2004/8/23 9:15

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

I really REALLY do not advise following the path of free hosting. $5-6 /month buys you a tremendous package with many hosts previewed here already. More than that it buys you 'peace of mind' What am I saying here? When you pay for something there is a 'contractual obligation' between you and the supplier. I known its not worth much these days, but free hosts offer you nothing in contract. They can and often do change their rules overnight and often start off well, to get their customers, then place adverts or other restrictions on their users. There is nothing you can do, except go along with it, or leave, or end up paying to remove the restrictions. How much is your hard work worth? Do you really want to risk so much for the sake of a few dollars?

JMorris
  • 2004/8/23 12:58

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Quote:

carnuke wrote:
I really REALLY do not advise following the path of free hosting. $5-6 /month buys you a tremendous package with many hosts previewed here already. More than that it buys you 'peace of mind' What am I saying here? When you pay for something there is a 'contractual obligation' between you and the supplier. I known its not worth much these days, but free hosts offer you nothing in contract. They can and often do change their rules overnight and often start off well, to get their customers, then place adverts or other restrictions on their users. There is nothing you can do, except go along with it, or leave, or end up paying to remove the restrictions. How much is your hard work worth? Do you really want to risk so much for the sake of a few dollars?

I couldn't agree with you more. I tried the free/cheap hosting route for over two years and every time I ended up sorely disappointed. I finally ended up going with 1and1.com, and have had no regrets, or problems ever since. And at $10/mo. for Linux hosting with 3 free domain names, redundant connections, daily backups, industry leading control panel, free software, free scripts, and a ton of other features, I feel the expense is well worth it.

I realize $10/mo may seem like a lot at first, but you have to ask yourself... How important is it that people actually get to see my site when they type in my URL? Given the nature of my business, it's very important. As it is, I'm going circles now with LowestHosting.com over transfering one of my domains to 1and1.com. I went with the "cheap" alternative a year ago, now I'm paying for it in lost business. Never again!

Free/cheap hosting is great for testing, if you don't know how to setup a local dev server. For production sites, I wouldn't recommend anything but a reputable hosting provider. If you earn money from your site, I'd recommending going with the biggest and best host you can find. 1and1 would be an excellent choice.

Look Ma' no affiliate links...

dheltzel
  • 2004/8/23 13:34

• dheltzel

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/1/8 1

Quote:

xb00t wrote:
Here comes another question - how can I change the icon that appears infront of the URL in the address bar? I can't remember its name right now

favicon.ico

xb00t
  • 2004/8/23 14:13

• xb00t

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/19

Thank you for that

wwwcad
  • 2004/8/23 20:29

• wwwcad

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/19

hey. i likehttp://www.dreamhost.com especially for the support andhttp://www.jaguarpc.com because you can host unlimited domain names on the same account paying only one time setup fee..

vinit
  • 2004/9/3 16:51

• vinit

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/1/10

there are many others sites offering free hosting against the posts made in the forum. www.freewebhosting.com and many other sites give a good listing of such sites.. truly speaking there wont be any good host that would be there to give you out free for life.. so dont expect it.

peterr
  • 2004/9/4 5:39

• peterr

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/8/5 9

Hi,

We don't offer free web hosting, as they say "there is no such thing as a free lunch".

If it is free, you will either be bound to run advertisements and banners, or, like was mentioned in this post, the hosting will, sooner or later, be down for some reason, etc. Web hosts have to pay to run their own servers, or lease a shared or dedicated server, plus pay for all the infrastructure (support, admin, security,etc), so I really can't see how they will _really_ be free ??

If you need web hosting, please checkout our plans and prices at:

http://www.jehoshua.net/hosting_plans.php

Thanks,

Peter

PS. (I'm still building the XOOPS site there, so please excuse the lack of content at present).

Spamhead
  • 2004/9/15 16:34

• Spamhead

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/8 1

I have just been sat here reading this & it would appear I have found a good deal:

Space: 500MB
Bandwidth: 20GB
cPanel/Fantastico are included
PHP/Perl/CGI/SSI are included
ASP is included
FrontPage Extensions is included
MySQL: 5
E-Mail Accounts: 10
Subdomains: 10
Domains: 10

This is totally free, & seems very reliable so far.

www.ifreebee.com

Login

Who's Online

239 user(s) are online (157 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 239

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits