brewmeister
Re: Is anyone interested ine a Genealogy Module for Xoops2?

I agree, TNG is awesome. I can't believe its so powerful. The problem we'll see getting it ported is it cost to use. Most of the mod developers are reluctent to convert "for pay" modules. I've read a lot of the comments on that subject and can agree with most but XOOPS does need a more expanded collection of mods, even if it includes "for fee" mods. Maybe someone will take the author up on his offer to helps someone convert it to other CMS's.

Pitxuri
Geneweb is Free
  • 2004/2/12 9:38

• Pitxuri

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/2/28

Hi,

Geneweb is free with a gnu licence
And for TNG you have to pay?
I think it's Geneweb we have to make working with Xoops.

Pit

retestro
Re: Geneweb is Free
  • 2004/5/17 21:52

• retestro

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/16

Yes, Geneweb may be free, but as has been said by others TNG looks the superior application.
I have already purchased TNG for use in my family website which currently uses PHPnuke.
I am, though, not entirely happy with PHPnuke and, having recently discovered the joys of XOOPS, was considering switching.
However the lack of a decent genealogy nodule is a big drawback for me. Is there any news on this front and is there any chance of TNG being modularized?

jmedodd
  • 2004/6/17 11:12

• jmedodd

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/16

Everyone is always out to get something free. We happily walk around downloading mods here and there using them for our own benefit. Yes, sometimes people give donations to the creators but let's face it, not very often. I do it all the time, downloading mods and not thinking twice about the work and effort that was put in creating it. This type of module is something that could be used by families for genealogy research and I think would be a great benefit to the XOOPS community. I think it would be great to have someone port it.

Having said that, I agree, it will be hard to get someone to port a pay module. However, if given the choice between Geneweb and TNG, I would whole-heartedly have to choose TNG. I mean come on, compare the two and it's like comparing the Motel 6 to the Tropicana...they both serve basically the same purpose but which one would you rather stay in? I have already paid for it (it really isn't that expensive...like $20 or so) and I, like others, don't use it because I have become more and more excited about using XOOPS and there's just really no good way to integrate it yet.

I would gladly support the creation of the module with any testing purposes (as like many, I am not a coder yet) and maybe even a very small donation...trust me, small, I am poor lately... :)

dennisb
  • 2004/7/20 23:45

• dennisb

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/13

I am also looking for a Geneology module. TNG or Geneweb or maybe something else. I can help test but :( am no programmer.

Big_H
  • 2004/7/26 15:49

• Big_H

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/19

I'm running a family-site so a Genealogy-module is very welcome. What are the results of your post to the dev-module guys.

A free module is in favour so Geneweb should be ported I think.

Looking forward to see the module in the Downloads section.

Greetings Big H

jmedodd
  • 2004/7/26 16:16

• jmedodd

• Just popping in

Another free genealogy script which is really super is phpGedView which has already been hacked to work with Postnuke from Cas over as nuy.info

View phpGedView Here

I am using this particular module on a private family site and it's one of the main reasons why I'm still using PN over XOOPS on this particular site.

Big_H
  • 2004/7/26 20:31

• Big_H

• Just popping in

I checked your link and found out that Jeff Koertzen has started to develop a XOOPS module with phpGedview as the base.

Link:http://dev.xoops.org/modules/xfmod/project/?myfamily

My concern is that phpGedview is only for showing your data. You will need an other program to make your Ged-files. Correct me if I'm wrong and Geneweb would be a complete module once ported.

But there is certainly some movement to get a module.

Greetings Big H

jmedodd
  • 2004/7/27 0:27

• jmedodd

• Just popping in

Towards the bottom of the features page, you can see that yes, you can change information. One of the things I like about phpGedView is that you can have multiple gedcoms. So if you are working on something and you find a branch but aren't sure if it's related to one you're already working on, you can have it separate but still workable. Here's a quote from the features page regagarding the online editing.

Quote:
Online Editing

Online Editing - Administrators can give users edit privileges to add, edit, and delete facts from individuals in the gedcom through online html forms.
Accept or Undo changes - Administrators are alerted when changes have been made online to the gedcom and they can choose to accept or undo those changes.
Change Diff View - Users with edit privileges can choose to view an online diff of the changes that have been made.
Add new people - You can now add new people to the Gedcom as children or spouses.
Edit Names - You can now edit the names of people in your gedcom file.
NEW Add Parents, Children, and Spouses - You can now extend your tree online by adding parents children and spouses online.
Integrated Research Log - You can download the Research Log module and install it into your PhpGedView directory and it will automatically integrate right into PhpGedView. When it is installed it adds a Research Log Tab to the individual page that will show you the research logs you have created for that person.
Remote GDBI Client - PhpGedView has teamed up with the GDBI project to provide a remote Java client that can be used to edit your genealogy data remotely.

Big_H
  • 2004/7/28 14:36

• Big_H

• Just popping in

Then Yes for phpGedview and a no for Geneweb

Phpgediew has a stunning layout and comes close to the features XOOPS is offering. Which should make it easy to port the program, I hope.

Greetings Big H

Login

Who's Online

223 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 223

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits