johnjolly
PHP5 Breaks My Site
  • 2004/7/21 12:15

• johnjolly

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/7 1

Hi

My web host provider has suddenly decided to switch from PHP 4 to PHP 5. Both my XOOPS based sites with them are broken!!

An earlier poster recommends changing the XOOPS function 'clone()' to '_clone()' as it is now a PHP reserved word. This has got me logged into the sites but I get
'Connection to host is broken' when I try and access the forums

I am completely stuck!! Has anyone had success with PHP 5

Regards

John

Mithrandir
Re: PHP5 Breaks My Site

Which forum module are you using?

Next bugfix version of XOOPS (2.0.7.1 or 2.0.8 - I don't think we have settled on the version number yet) will hopefully make the transition to PHP5 easier, but in general we do not rate XOOPS as PHP5-compliant yet.

Use of get_class() in the forum module code could also be a problem needing solving as its behaviour has changed from PHP4 to PHP5.

johnjolly
  • 2004/7/21 13:23

• johnjolly

• Just popping in

The forum module I'm using is newbb.
Also the same issue with weblinks, ie mylinks

It's a 2.0.6 installation but I suspect that the same issues apply to the 2.0.7 varient.

I can't see usage of get_class in newbb or mylinks.

Basically it looks like my hosting provider has been unreasonable in suddenly changing to PHP5. I suspect that plenty others will make this move over the coming months which could prove rather frustrating for many.

Any hacks or lines of enquiry I can follow to avoid relocating the whole site will be gratefully received.

Cheers

John

DonXoop

I'm surprised that an ISP would have moved so quickly to PHP5. And certainly not without informing users of what will likely break which is a lot for some people. ISPs still have a hard time turning off Register_Globals without user issues.

PHP 4 is perfectly fine and secure and likely to be supported for sometime to come. I'm not trusting 5 just yet.

Smarter move is to support 5 on a unique server process and gradually move users over with incentives.

johnjolly
  • 2004/7/21 15:03

• johnjolly

• Just popping in

There speaks the voice of reason ! They claim I'm the only client with an issue, I wonder !

cigano
PHP5 and DB Problems
  • 2004/7/25 22:30

• cigano

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/25

I tried to install the newest version of XOOPS in a Apache server running PHP5 as a module. The installations fails at the database creation (step 6 or 7, I guess).

Anyway, use the 4th version. The SQL procedures are running pretty strange in PHP5.

m0nty
  • 2004/7/26 2:55

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

Quote:
Mithrandir wrote:

Next bugfix version of XOOPS (2.0.7.1 or 2.0.8 - I don't think we have settled on the version number yet) will hopefully make the transition to PHP5 easier, but in general we do not rate XOOPS as PHP5-compliant yet.

can i suggest 2.0.8 would save me having to type in an extra . and number.. lol (british lazyness)

tom
  • 2004/7/26 7:19

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

Quote:

can i suggest 2.0.8 would save me having to type in an extra . and number.. lol (british lazyness)

In a effort to support M0nty, and although this option was not given, we could also get rid of the zero and full stops making it just 28.

28 being a easier and lazier number.

Login

Who's Online

253 user(s) are online (40 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 253

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits