Forlorndeeds
GZIP and Xoops!

Hi.
I was wondering how do I set my site up to run on GZIP? I asked my provider, and he said that it's only done by a command line, not a php module. He also ponited out that it was at: /usr/bin/gzip
But when I turn GZIP on for XOOPS or the IPM mod it generates errors.
Is it a php moduele? I'm a bit confused about the topic.

Thanks.

Catzwolf
Re: GZIP and Xoops!
  • 2004/7/22 10:49

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Technically he is correct, scripts can only use this function.

The problem is that you have two scripts trying to use this function at the same time, hence the errors. Since XOOPS is alrady using this it would be better to 'turn off this option' in IPM.

DonXoop

Exactly, turn it off in the module and use the core for all. But do have a good test with it since you could find strange behaviour with different browsers. And do a new user registration to test since previous versions had issues at times with gzip when signing up. Too bad it doesn't work well for everyone.

Same problem with PHP's zlib output compression. Again, you don't want to use it and another's gzip at the same time.

I just use a PHP accelerator/cache and avoid the gzip issues. Worth a try to see what works for you.

Forlorndeeds

IPM (Invision Board) does'nt use GZIP, nor does Xoops. They're both disabled, and I don't know why it's giving me errors in this case, if nothing is using Gzip.
I'll figure it out.

Can anything conflict with GZIP?
Also, what did you mean by "I just use a PHP accelerator/cache and avoid the gzip issues. Worth a try to see what works for you."

Where can I find these?

DonXoop

You might want to verify that your PHP isn't using zlib output_compression. (<?php phpinfo(); ?>) to find out. That can give the same trouble as gzip.

The accelerators speed up PHP by precompiling the code so it doesn't have to be done at each call. It doesn't compress the HTML stream.

Two freebie accelerators I use are Zend's Optimizer and MMCache.

And the one I use in production: MMCache. The author has taken a job at Zend so they are still in transition. The original site with a working version is Here. It is Smarty friendly and so far no trouble.

You need access to the server's PHP so if you're on a hosted server you might be out of luck with these. But mmcache gives me a noticable speed improvement.

Login

Who's Online

218 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 218

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits