djsckizo
Server Guru's and Other Tech Savy People...come here
  • 2004/7/21 9:40

• djsckizo

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/5/9 8

I want to set up a home server to teach myself how to run one. Rather than spend $100 a month teaching myself something (which with my track record of self teaching, is a bad investment), I figured "hey, why not use this PC I've got here that is doing nothing but sitting around?"...so, that's what I'm going to do. Here are some specs

-900mzh Duron, meaning faster than speeding peanut butter.
-256megs of RAM
-ADSL connection through my router that connects to two other pcs...one which is rarely used though

So...suggestions? Others have suggested using Debian and FreeBSD. I want something easy to use, preferablly GUI. Basically something that isn't going to make me throw my computer into oncoming traffic. Any ideas of how to begin this project of mine?

Oh yes, and control panels like CPanel, which is extrodinarily expensive...so basically something free or cheap.

Mithrandir
Re: Server Guru's and Other Tech Savy People...come here

"run one" - run a what? A server, you say - but what kind of server? A webserver?

I personally run Mandrake 10 for trying it out and as a test and development environment. I tried Knoppix and RedHat before settling with Mandrake as it was the easiest to setup and manage for me - I am NOT a linux-command-line-lover

djsckizo
  • 2004/7/21 10:08

• djsckizo

• Just can't stay away

Ah ha, yes that is exactly what I ment actually (it's late, my brain is only working at 3 1/2%). A webserver. People have been telling me not to bother with Mandrake, but that is what I have installed on it now actually. It's a lot easier than I expected, though I'm not saying it's not hard either. Windows has wimpified me over the years. I haven't touched reeeeally used DOS in years, so the command line will be like a foreign language to me if I jump head first into it.

I did not like Redhat 9. Knoppix...I have heard of it but never used it.

DonXoop

Welcome to Linux. Mandrake isn't my first choice for a server but for what you described it is ideal. One of the easiest to install, update, configure, and GUI. Makes a good desktop and if new to Linux is pretty easy, but be prepared for some head banging until its logic (compared to Windoze lack of) kicks in.

While you're at it you might like installing the Samba package which can make the box a Windows networking client and server. Might as well use it for file/print services and you might find it is a better NT server than NT. It can do a lot more too.

Once you get it going as you like you'll want to learn remote management (from your Windows or anything else machine). This is where Linux really shines from a remote user's point of view. No more goofy pcAnywhere like apps. It is truly multi-user and you have several ways to connect to it and do everything you need. Then you can pull the monitor and keyboard off and shove it in the closet and still use it like you were sitting there, from anywhere in the world.

It is wise to dust off your old command line skills. There are a handful of common tasks you'll do that are much faster and ultimately easier from a remote command line shell. But there are all manner of GUI/Web based apps as well but a quick SSH connection is best.

good luck.

jmass
  • 2004/7/21 16:31

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/18

Mandrake... Not my first choice either. But certainly not a bad choice.

Two years ago I would have said redhat hands down. Just cuz of the business market share. But now fedora.... I would not do it. Besides Redhat 8+ really sucked it up.

I personally run Gentoo. I did so for the experience. I thought it would be a challange. Not really. This is not to say I am a Guru. It is just that once you get the base loaded, Portage makes it really easy. Besides, Gentoo is more off center than any other distro I have used on my laptop. The Gentoo skills don't port well.

I want to go Slackware now to get a little hard core, but the user base is dwindelling....

Bottom line is that anything you do will be a learning experience. Distro does not really matter at this point in time. Like was said above, the learning will come from configuring things from the command line not what distro you run it on.

JMass

Herko
  • 2004/7/21 17:12

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

From a complete linux n00b: I tried SuSE and Mepis, both were very nice distros with a gradual learning curve. Both packed with apps...

Herko

djsckizo
  • 2004/8/12 18:49

• djsckizo

• Just can't stay away

Question: I have Madrake 10 running. From my windows xp pro pc, I am able to view the apache page (which I changed to a custom page). When I type in my ip address from my cousin's house (right across the street), I get the "This Page Cannot Be Displayed" page.

Both of my machines are running through a router, with a hole punched in it for and to the linux box. I wouldn't think that being on the same router would have anything to do with it, but since this is all new to me, I figured that I'd ask you guys. I'm planning on sticking a XOOPS site on it when I'm finally able to use it.

jlm69
  • 2004/8/12 19:15

• jlm69

• Module Developer

• Since: 2002/7/19

Most ISP's won't let you access port 80 (which is default for webserver).
You might want to try going to no-ip.com and setup a free account and use a redirect to a different port. If it is a linksys router you can't use port 8080 either(it is used by the router).

Then you need to go to /etc/httpd/conf/http2.conf

look for these lines

#BindAddress *
<IfDefine APACHEPROXIED>
Listen 8080
</IfDefine>
<IfDefine !APACHEPROXIED>
Listen 80
</IfDefine>

Change 8080 and 80 to the port you decided to use, I used to use port 12300

That should get you going.

I have used Mandrake for over a year as a server, if you want you can e-mail me directly and I'll try to help more.

djsckizo
  • 2004/8/13 19:19

• djsckizo

• Just can't stay away

Thanks. I'm having a couple friends check it just to make sure they can view it from where they are. I'll let you know if it works.

djsckizo
  • 2004/8/14 2:26

• djsckizo

• Just can't stay away

And yes, it worked.

Login

Who's Online

237 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 237

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits