argonaut
blank page after installation (read *please*)
  • 2004/7/17 22:34

• argonaut

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/17

I see only a blank page after installation.
Can someone tell me what happens *please*?
I don't understand what this faq does mean

1. In the php.ini, make sure that register_globals=on.

where is this php.ini, and what does mean what follows:

You can check this by creating a test script with this single line of code: <? echo phpinfo(); ?>

What does mean this?

2. Sometimes the PHP GZIP module is not added or correctly compiled with PHP, go into the XOOPS admin (system>preferences) and turn off support for GZIP.

Where is this system preferences, if I cannot access the admin?

tl
Re: blank page after installation (read *please*)
  • 2004/7/18 0:03

• tl

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/6/23

Don't take it wrong way - even though XOOPS is very easy to install and manage, it does require you to have some basic knowledge of PHP and MySQL.

If you don't know what those mean, then you may not be ready for XOOPS or any cms.

In case of your seeking help from your hosting company or a friend, based on what you have described, your php may not have MySQL compiled in.

Gbeard
  • 2004/7/18 5:16

• Gbeard

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/10/7

Hi,
Create a file in your favorate text editor called info.php (or something of your choice) and put
<? echo phpinfo(); ?> into it upload it to your server and call it from your browser ie "yourdomain.com/info.php"
and as the name says you will get a page full of your php info.
Good luck

argonaut
  • 2004/7/18 7:59

• argonaut

• Just popping in

Quote:
Don't take it wrong way - even though XOOPS is very easy to install and manage, it does require you to have some basic knowledge of PHP and MySQL.

Sorry, but this is a wrong justification. This is a *geekish* justification.

Quote:
If you don't know what those mean, then you may not be ready for XOOPS or any cms.

Oh, this is "usability"! My compliments.

I presume that a little of knowledge is necessary, but (not for polemics nor comparisons) other cms's I *used* so far didn't procured such issues. And just to avoid easy answers, I dropped 'em not just 'cause of likewise problems, but of lack of features or difficulty of use in templates. Most of them was much more intuitive than this, nor they presented likely hassles. Perhaps this might have some other advantages in respects of concurents, but the current problem is just an handicap, not yet a justification. Maybe this cms is too perfect.

Quote:
In case of your seeking help from your hosting company or a friend, based on what you have described, your php may not have MySQL compiled in.

That is to mean what? Other cms's worked finely with the databases.

argonaut
  • 2004/7/18 8:00

• argonaut

• Just popping in

Anyway, register_globals is *ON*
Now then?

Mithrandir

Have you looked at Troubleshooting blank pages in the wiki?

argonaut
  • 2004/7/18 9:03

• argonaut

• Just popping in

What I wrote in the prime post is all I got from both wiki and tips.

Anyway, is this "smooth"? I guess not

This is the 3d time I install.... Sincerely, I'm doubtful on doing this a 4th, and to have done it wrong three times.

Mithrandir

So changing the include/common.php with this:
Quote:

3. If you can't get to the administration page, and don't want to mess with mysql, but don't mind messing with PHP, then edit the file "include/common.php". Near line 83, change "error_reporting(0);" to "error_reporting(E_ALL);".

Gave you nothing? No error messages instead of the blank page?

argonaut
  • 2004/7/18 9:25

• argonaut

• Just popping in

Hi wizard, no needs to modify, maybe I found what. Scanned the whole file list, and I found that mainfile.dist.php was mainfile,dist.php (but... it should give a blank page, or an error page?)! Now guess a clue, if the problem is this; *who* substituted the period with a comma? I didn't renamed any files; they was uploaded (3 times) from the zip to the pc then to the ftp directly as they are in the zip, and in the zip the file is correct. For instance, I use wsftp; can this ftp uploader give kind of problems? Wondrous.

post-edit (12.10 gmt+1): now the page is visible....

Login

Who's Online

151 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 151

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits