ninks
Is XOOPs suitable for
  • 2004/7/8 10:07

• ninks

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/8 9

I am looking for a CMS to perform the following function for an article management system and just found XOOPS at Sourceforge so I wanted to know if the base code or a add on module can perform all or part of the following so I can use it as a base for further modification.

If you think XOOPS is the tool I am looking for or can recomend something else would love to hear from you.

Overview I need to create a database where information documents can be saved and assigned a unique number. They can be edited in draft mode but once submitted and approved by an adminstrator are in production and can never be changed. The article needs to have the date it was approved and a Number assigned to it for future reference. You should be able to search on that number or free form content within the article. The article needs to be able to support text and graphics.

If the author wants to change it they can submit ammendments that would be attached to then end of the article if approved and each ammendment would have the date the ammendment was approved.

I can't say what I need it for at this stage but it will greatly benefit the OPEN Source communitiy. I would also be looking for people who can assist in developing and running this.

1, Allow a person to create an article with a set format section 1, section 2, section 3, and then images at the end.

2, Assign the article a unique number that anyone who views the article can see the number and the article.

3,allow the author to submit the article as a draft and update with only the author able to view.

4, allow the author to submit for publishing and then have an administrator view the article.

5, Allow the administrator to approve the article and have a date assigned when approved.

6, When the Article is submitted it is locked so the author can not modify the article is in the database number assigned and the date it was approved. Any one can view it but no one can change it.

7, Allow the author to create amendments they can attach to the first article and when approved the new date and the ammendment would be attached at the bottom of the article or referenced some how when viewing the article.

ninks
Re: Is XOOPs suitable for
  • 2004/7/9 1:25

• ninks

• Just popping in

any ID on this one even a simple yes, maybe or no would help thanks

Mithrandir

XOOPS is suitable.

Most of your requirements are in the standard News module - however, your special needs regarding article editing and a few other things will need special coding.

Not at all impossible (But I have no time to do it for you)

ninks
  • 2004/7/9 13:49

• ninks

• Just popping in

Thanks I appreciate the response, I know PHP and Perl so I can probably close some of the gaps just wanted to make sure it was the right direction to head in before I go investing 40 or 50 hours in that direction.

Again thanks for the response.

fooups
  • 2004/7/9 14:05

• fooups

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/1/12

If you just want to manage article in your website, and nothing else, I would recommand you to take a look at SPIP which was designed for journalism, at first.

Xoops is a very powerful tool (and I enjoy using it) but it is more community-oriented (in my mind) than SPIP which focus on article management only (with a small forum too).

I think the main question is: how will evolve your needs in the future? And only you can answer to this question.

An exemple of a site using SPIP (a very famous french quality newspaper)

Happy Xoopsing

Login

Who's Online

213 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 213

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits