tedsmith
Module Needed to Create a Form to Accept User Inputted Data
  • 2004/6/21 17:54

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

I'm sure I'll look daft for asking this because it's probably already been suggested, but what I need is the following:

I am setting up a site for dog owners to report lost or found dogs. What I want for them is a form for which they can input their own details, and then that of the dogs. At the end of it, I'd like them to be able to upload a picture of their dog from their PC and then press submit. I then want all the data, inluding the graphics file, and the allocation of a unique ID number to be stored in the database.

Its a call order I know. Is it possible? Can something like that be done with Xoops? Its a free service so I won't be able to pay for the development, unless it just a few dollars\pounds.

If anyone can help I'd owe them an eternity of grattitude, and will be sure to have their name splashed accross the site in recognition of their efforts. Any volunteers?

Mithrandir
Re: Module Needed to Create a Form to Accept User Inputted Data

It is very much possible with XOOPS. Not even that hard.

Just a submission form to input data into the database, a page to list lost dogs with the pictures and finally an option to delete listings (in case of abuse or if a dog is actually found - I'm told it happens )

It is not difficult to do, but it'll take some custom programming, which I am afraid I don't personally have the time for.

tedsmith
  • 2004/6/22 7:29

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

Thanks very much for your reply Mirth. Thanks for considering helping me - I know you'd be very busy with XOOPS generally to have the time to write me a module.

Ok, so are there any pointers you could give me so that I can learn how to do it? You say it won't be that hard? Is that from the point of view of an experienced core developer, or is it generally not that hard?

Is there anyone else who would have the time to help - I don't rekon I'd manage it on my own?

chapi
  • 2004/6/22 7:36

• chapi

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2002/1/22

If you have a little knowledge in php and MySQL you can do it on your own. Take the mylinks or mydownloads module as an example. These two modules do also get data from the users (link or download submission) which then will be listed on a site.

So you "only" have to clone one of these modules and customize it, to fit your needs.

tedsmith
  • 2004/6/22 9:42

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

I'll perhaps try that then and see how I get on. I have a book on PHP and MySQL, but I aint too bright!!

Perhaps I can ask people for help once I start? Cheers

tedsmith
  • 2004/7/2 17:11

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

If I were to offer, say £100, would anyone offer to make this for me? Its for a charitable site and I haven't got loads of cash myself, so can't offer any more than that. But if anyone had some free time?

jw716
  • 2004/7/2 17:51

• jw716

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/1 2

Why don't you just use a message board?
Don't know much about most of them but I do know that you can set up IPB to upload photographs.
If you have XOOPS set up and running now, go to bbpixel.com and download the ipbm.
Have you up and running in about an hour.
Photos and all.

sottwell
  • 2004/7/2 19:06

• sottwell

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/23

The message board sounds like a good idea, but if you still want to make a custom module I'll be glad to help. I'm working on a recipe exchange module, learning this system as I go, and all the practice I can get will be useful. I'm semi-retired, so I have plenty of time.

tedsmith
  • 2004/7/4 19:18

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

That's very kind of you to offer, and may take you up on the offer. However, I have come accross the 'MyAlbum Module' which may be sufficient. It allows a user to upload a picture, add a description, and allocate it to a pre-set category, which, in my case, will be my breeds of dog.

So a user will be able to upload a picture of their collie, for example, and say 'My collie was lost in such a place at such a time and he looks like this' as the description, and then upload a picture from their PC.

It's not perfect, but it will do.

If it doesn't prove to be worhtwhile I'll get in touuch with you again. Once again, thanks for the offer. You are a gentlemen.

mrgym
  • 2004/7/5 13:24

• mrgym

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/4/26

I thought the original title was a great module idea.

What if there was a module that allowed an admin to create forms of any type and then summarize the results? Each form could include inputs which might include text ( text box or drop down), integer, or floating point types. The summary reporting module would either list sum, average, or individual listings (a simple crystal reports).

Login

Who's Online

219 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 219

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits