McPheron
Need some pointers...
  • 2004/6/30 6:36

• McPheron

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/25

I have been learning XOOPS for about a week now. I started with the included X2T theme since it was recommended we learn with a core theme first. I have played around and built a theme that I like, but now I'm wading through the million or so module templates that all seem to be different. I still have some CSS tweaking to do in the core theme, but it is basically what I want at this point.

First, could you experts take a look and see what you think? I wanted a fun comic book feel, but I may have gone overboard on graphics.

Second, is there a more efficient way to standardize some content? I have been modifying each individual template in the admin section. It works, but good lord it takes forever.

Finally, I can't decide on a look for the content. Any suggestions? I know some of you are familiar with alot of different themes. Is there anything you remember seeing that is similar? I need some ideas...

McPherons.com

I am soon to be a full time art student. The site will eventually be a gallery/portfolio with some artist resources. So, I don't really want the boring business look in most CMS themes.

Any advice is appreciated. This is my first attempt at this.

Anonymous
Re: Need some pointers...
  • 2004/6/30 7:18

• Anonymous

• Since:

I actually love your theme. It is nifty. the colors of the gold and grey...The center, plain white, is kind of boring, if you were to change the center block..to a real light grey, it will really bring the site out....Nice start!

eq

McPheron
  • 2004/6/30 14:42

• McPheron

• Just popping in

Thanks EQ!

I changed the background to grey and it made everything look much better. Thanks for the advice...

Anonymous
  • 2004/6/30 15:41

• Anonymous

• Since:

Yes, I agree it looks much better

good going

eq

xpider
  • 2004/6/30 21:55

• xpider

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/5/9 2

I would say for only being into XOOPS for a week your catching on very quickly :) I really like the upper links in the header. I don't believe it is to comic book at all. Looks great.

brash
  • 2004/6/30 22:26

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

yeah, nice work there. Looking at it you would think it was the work of a seasoned XOOPS user, but getting that level after just a week is very good IMHO.

McPheron
  • 2004/6/30 22:52

• McPheron

• Just popping in

Well, thanks for the kind words. I have to say kudos to the core developers. All I did was change some html and css. Everything was so well documented it was easier than designing a normal website. So, far I have been able to find a reference in these forums for everything I wanted to do. Seems like a great support community in XOOPS so far. I'm glad I installed it.

The only real difficulty so far is figuring out what all is possible. There is no real reference for the XOOPS and SMARTY stuff. It would be nice to have a list all the tags and variables that are possible. Like some of the HTML and CSS sites out there.

Anyway, changing that background to gray made me feel a whole lot better about the look. That is really what I needed. It saved me some work experimenting with those crazy module templates. I still say there has to be a more simpler or at least a more organized method.

Thanks again for the comments.

McPheron
  • 2004/7/2 9:56

• McPheron

• Just popping in

Okay, revision number one. I think I pretty much decided to stick with that grey background you suggested. What do think of the content now, did I overdo the gold or the borders?

Be brutal... let me know what doesn't look right.

McPherons.com

Thanks...

Bender
  • 2004/7/2 10:20

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

Find it very nice done. Congrats.

Only flaw:
The news window doesn´t work correct with Opera anymore.
Text will be compressed to the first 10% of the window.

studioC
  • 2004/7/2 10:26

• studioC

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/7

hello McPheron,

nothing to say whats brutal here, it's a clean layout. My first theme didn't look that nice and structured but I don't wan't to say "hey, .. it's good for the first one".. no it's good independend from if you are new in this or not ! If you didn't told us you are new we won't see that you are.

Keep on good work and i love to see your next themes. every new theme will be a better on. layout itself is a very personal emotion each! Most important is that YOU love your theme [and of course some of your visitors]. i actually changed my view in this a bit for i know that a good theme is nothing worth on a site with no content. Visitors come back to get our content not to view our pagelayout each day. Of course, .. If both things fit, its the best way ..

Viewed your theme with ie and firefox and it seems to be ok. Clean and structured!

Greetings
michael

Login

Who's Online

373 user(s) are online (42 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 373

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits