talunceford
Ideas for adding "Similar News" to the article page.....

I was just throwing around the idea of adding an area in the article page that would show "similar news items" for a news item. Any ideas from anyone else on this?

tl
Re: Ideas for adding "Similar News" to the article page.....
  • 2004/6/26 1:47

• tl

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/6/23

The 1.3 version or older news module had this feature. For some reasons it was discarded in 2.x version.

Mithrandir

I am adding functionality to News for a client - we haven't discussed whether to release it publicly, though - which will feature:

- Versioning of articles
- Linking of articles to any item in any module as long as it is using the search feature

and a few things more.

Is there a general demand for such functionality?

talunceford

Personally Mithy,

I would like to see it, because if you go to a site like mine where you only have 3 articles on the front page, having the ability to display "LIKE" articles in the article.php page would be nice. I know there are quite a few sites (non-xoops) that have this feature. I was playing around with it last night and got it to work, somewhat, I couldn't get the array to work properly, and gave up on it.

Whats involved with the upgrade, and would you be willing to let me check it out?

Mithrandir

I have just hooked into the search function of each module and added a table to the News module with the following appearance:

CREATE TABLE `news_link` (
    `
linkidint(12unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,
    `
storyidINT(12NOT NULL,
    `
link_moduleINT(12NOT NULL,
    `
link_linkvarchar(120NOT NULL default '',
    `
link_titlevarchar(70NOT NULL default '',

PRIMARY KEY (`linkid`)
TYPE=MyISAM;

there are some shortcomings such as:
1. If the linked item is deleted, the link persists as everything is duplicated (title and link) in this table (I can put in something extra in the deletion process of a News article, but I cannot do the same with e.g. forum threads or weblinks)
2. If the linked item's module is deactivated or uninstalled, I assume that it will break things (I haven't tested this yet, but I guess I will get some calls to non-member functions because the module object will not exist)
3. A story can be linked to itself (but I'll put in a chek for that)

Mithrandir

Items 2. and 3. are solved, but 1. persists - not really any way around that short of adding the "link to" functionality to the core (which may be a good idea, but it's still a bit too immature to do this).

tl
  • 2004/6/27 17:20

• tl

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/6/23

Mith,
I have never attempted to design a module. But from usability point of view, I think storing dynamically changing information in a table will be problematic. Maybe a couple of functions may complishe the same thing?
tl

Mithrandir

functions in other modules, yes, which I have no control over.

I cannot know when e.g. a weblink is deleted as there is nothing in the weblinks module to alert of that fact. Therefore the solution is flawed, but it's the best I can do.

Login

Who's Online

371 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 371

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits