tl
Re: Google and indexing
  • 2004/6/26 20:12

• tl

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/6/23

Page titles are must if you want to improve your ranking. Your ranking also depends on how frequent googlebots visiting your site. If the bots come to your site everyday doing a full crawl, the ranking of the particular item will have a high ranking, otherwise, it will rank behind others.

If your site is listed in Google directory, you will have a chance of high ranking. It seems that Google has been filtering out many sites listed in DMOZ directory. With so much power, Google seems to misbehave a lots recently.

MSN and Yahoo! still have long way to catch up with Google. Hope one day these two will be equal to Google. But with $ in front of them (charging for directory listing), I am not sure they ever will.

Big_Bro
  • 2004/6/26 21:05

• Big_Bro

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/26

I've done very well with XOOPS and Google so far, even briefly cracking a PR7 during the last update, hopefully next time if I get off my butt and update in once in awhile I'll keep it after the next Google dance.

Still, I know I could do better if every page had a real title as you say but (edit) which method of renaming page titles I've seen in links here so far works best with the least impact on the site?

jctsup1
  • 2004/6/26 22:47

• jctsup1

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/5/23

I agree that page titles help but my point is that the ranking for my site is high without having used page titles other than what comes with the core of Xoops. If you go to Google or Yahoo and search on IIS we show up in the top 15 & that number slowly continues to go up as we get more and more content on the site. Also, I think a lot of it has to do with how relevant your content is to the search in question,

jctsup1
  • 2004/6/26 22:53

• jctsup1

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:

tl wrote:
If your site is listed in Google directory, you will have a chance of high ranking. It seems that Google has been filtering out many sites listed in DMOZ directory. With so much power, Google seems to misbehave a lots recently.

I'm listed in DMOZ several times & it doesn't seem to have affected my position within Google --- perhaps because I am making them a ton of money with their AdSense program helps too

tl
  • 2004/6/26 22:56

• tl

• Friend of XOOPS

Yes, search for IIS will find your site since your site name contains the word "IIS".

I think we are talking about two slightly different things - finding your site and finding the contents on your site.

If you site has contents and you want people to find your contents in the first page of google search, without page title, your content will be ranked behind others having page titles.

jctsup1
  • 2004/6/26 23:15

• jctsup1

• Not too shy to talk

I see your point --- I did a little research and you are correct. This is a perfect example of what you are stating:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=404%20error%20page%20templates

Even though I show up high in the results, someone with the info in their page title appeared higher than I did.

So guys - what's the best way to address this? Is this being addressed by the devs? I don't do hacks. At 1 point I looked at the Temas Mod as I thought it would do this but it really didn't work.

tl
  • 2004/6/26 23:26

• tl

• Friend of XOOPS

There are several discussions of page titles. You'll find them doing a search on pagetitle.

You can add page titles to your pages by modifying the php files - manually added the titles.

www.eXploZ.com has a hack adding pagetitles, but it lengths your URL. You way want to take a look at the code so you could add manually yourself without using the hack.

One thing to be aware, if you enable the cache, pagetitle may not be indexed by the bot depending whether the bot is the first visitor calling the page during the cache period. After the first visit, the pagetitle would be reversed back to XOOPS default if cache had been enabled:
yoursite name - module name

Login

Who's Online

171 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 171

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits