Dhurgan
Updating templates...
  • 2004/6/4 8:12

• Dhurgan

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/11

Another basic one perhaps?

Is there a way to update a template without having to update the whole module?

Reason is that the module update will reiinit all the other variables as well and after a few reloads the index eats away :-/ It's just on my development site, but still... seems like an awful waste of indexes when I only need to refresh the template in the db.

Looking in the template management I can download it, but there doesnt seem to be a way ti upload it (beside doing the MySQL by hand of course)

Mithrandir
Re: Updating templates...

You could use the template manager to edit the templates directly. Then when you are satisfied with how it looks, you can copy-paste the contents from the template manager to the actual file.

m0nty
  • 2004/6/4 8:32

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

Quote:
Looking in the template management I can download it, but there doesnt seem to be a way ti upload it (beside doing the MySQL by hand of course)

if u read the notice for the default template, it tells you, that you can't update the default template set thru xoops.

Clone the default set 1st, so you have a duplicate copy.. then goto preferences and set the new cloned template as the default!!

once you have done that, you can goto the template manager and edit the templates as much as you like, either by manually editing the template or by uploading a ready done template..

Dhurgan
  • 2004/6/4 11:43

• Dhurgan

• Just popping in

Do I have to clone the default set to edit my own provisioned module templates? Why not just a update from source button in the manager?

I can understand the default templates being uneditable, but add on modules? Ah well, So after installing XOOPS the first thing to do if your interested in developing is to clone the default.

Still, that means I have to write my template localy and upload it or edit in the browser which is a last-ditch way to maintain it in my eyes. Why not simply an update from source button in there to, definitly room for it :-/

Dhurgan
  • 2004/6/4 11:55

• Dhurgan

• Just popping in

Quote:

Mithrandir wrote:
You could use the template manager to edit the templates directly. Then when you are satisfied with how it looks, you can copy-paste the contents from the template manager to the actual file.

Thats not a nice way to work, I prefer sitting in my editors with sources and update, test and reupdate... om the developer webserver.

You cant really test it without using XOOPS and you need XOOPS in some kind of developers mode to do it properly... same actually goes for the MySQL part, but at least, there I can buff the tables by hand until I'm done.

m0nty
  • 2004/6/4 21:47

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

well each block will have it's own template files..

the XOOPS default set automatically generates the templates as you install each module..

but using the cloned module, which i think is best to really as it leaves the default as standard and can be a life saver should something screw up..

everytime u install a module, the template files from that module are listed by the template manager, u then have to goto template manager and generate the templates, which will then compile them.

so simply editing the templates of the module before you install or update will mean that your modified template will be compiled ;)

if you want to change it afterwards, you can either edit it in the template manager, or you can edit it in an editor of your choice and then upload the new template via the template manager..

i think this is what you're asking.. but not sure..

unless you're asking for a full preview, so that you can view how it looks by using a popup window similar to what ipb uses, so then u can make changes and then click preview again and the window will refresh the changes..

in essence to be honest i think that would be a good idea and although i'm not a coder, i don't think it would be that difficult to implement (as a popup window that is) but if u want a full editor like wysiwyg then that would take some work..

Dhurgan
  • 2004/6/5 19:32

• Dhurgan

• Just popping in

Quote:
if you want to change it afterwards, you can either edit it in the template manager, or you can edit it in an editor of your choice and then upload the new template via the template manager..

Yes and no...

I want one more button basically...
besides the upload one, which basically means
"upload from same computer as browser is on"
I want a button that says... "refresh/reload" from source
which would recompile the actual modules/modulename/templates/template_name.html file

Why?

Because I sit remotely from the site, editing on it, and then reloading my templates to check them out. I dont have my files locally, I have them on my development web server, where I develop my stuff, not on my local PC at home or work, sure I could edit stuff locally and then send it down with upload, but that would mean I need all the files synced from all the different places I could sit and work, which coul be many, yes I could use a cvs and sync up and down, but I do have everything on my site already and it works fine remotely, I guess I'll have to jump into the template manager and see if I cant add that functionality myself.

How do you people develop the stuff? You all sit and system locally at home uploading them from your computer to your computer or?

Login

Who's Online

236 user(s) are online (154 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 236

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits