OwenS
PHPBB and Xoops coexisting in the same database with the same users etc...
  • 2004/5/28 21:18

• OwenS

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/28

I would like to use XOOPS as the portal for my site, yet keep the existing PHPBB running and use it instead of the NewBB or other forum modules. I dont want a PHPBB module since my existing PHPBB system is heavily hacked for the features I need, and many wont work in an XOOPS module.

I would like to modify XOOPS instead of PHPBB for this since my PHPBB install is much larger and I feel future mods would be hampered by it. However I dont expect to mod XOOPS too heavily, if at all, in the future.

So, can anyone help me?

(PS: Does anyone know where I can find a FI SubSilver skin for Xoops? )

intel352
Re: PHPBB and Xoops coexisting in the same database with the same users etc...
  • 2004/5/28 21:47

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

lol, this is quite a strange request. i doubt anyone has ever merged the cms into the forums, lol, usually other way around

ajaxbr
  • 2004/5/28 23:59

• ajaxbr

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/10/25

While I don't agree 100% with them (hardly 30% ), these guys at phpBB Area 51 have some interesting points... it might an issue a tad more important than we (the CMS crowd) expect it to be: who would benefit more from a integration effort, forum makers or CMS makers?

If it became extremely easy to wrap your standalone forum in a great CMS AND to include a full featured standalone forum into your CMS... how many new forums and how many new CMSs installations should we expect? I'd say we'd have a lot more new CMSs than new forums.

But then, how many users can a single forum or a single CMS instance serve? That plus the fact that we will soon have a fantastic new newBB (thanks a lot Predator and all devs) are the reasons I won't try to sell the idea of making XOOPS easier to wrap around standalone apps (like ErfurtWiki)... for now

[size=xx-small]Besides that... this was also a flag of the incredible Solomon Tulbure. And I mean incredible in a very pejorative way...[/size]

Warr1or
  • 2004/5/29 1:58

• Warr1or

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/4/2 1

CMS-type hacks exists for phpBB and iKonBoard forums... But they are not as good as XOOPS by any measure.

Login

Who's Online

161 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 161

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits