jfernau
Free month of hosting for xoops forum members at Surpass Hosting
  • 2004/4/12 1:30

• jfernau

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/29

All -

Guess what!

Earlier, I posted over at the Surpass forum that they may want to brace themselves for an influx of XOOPS users, and they decided to put out the welcome mat for all of you.

If you sign up with Surpass, as a XOOPS forum member, you will get a credit for a free month of hosting. When you sign up, send an email to payments@surpasshosting.com. In that email, tell them that you a member of the XOOPS forum and would like to take them up on the offer of a credit for a free month of hosting. Include your XOOPS forum name in that email.

For those who just signed up, please send an email to the same address with the same information, and you will get the credit for the free month as well.

John

surpass
Re: Free month of hosting for xoops forum members at Surpass Hosting
  • 2004/5/21 18:50

• surpass

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/18

A reminder to those who recently signed up with us: only a few of you emailed us about the free month. We need to know who the XOOPS users are, so please let us know so we can spend time on helping customers rather than searching for recently installed copies of XOOPS as hints

Kayla
www.surpasshosting.com
www.surmunity.com

Mithrandir

Can't you just search for a xoops-specific file such as xoops.js?

Since we are in the gift-shop mood, is there anything we can do (more than we already do) to be listed in addition to/instead of phpNuke in the packaging?

jfernau
  • 2004/5/22 0:45

• jfernau

• Just popping in

First of all, I just wanted to thank you again for the help you provided in response to my last problem on this board. You had the perfect solution and saved me much pain.

Now, in response to this post:

I see by the that you are only joking, but they weren't necessarily looking to offer a free month to anyone who would install xoops. Rather, they wanted to offer it to people who frequented this forum and were part of this community. That is why they requested the email, and asked that the person mention their username from this forum.

As for what you could do (keep in mind that I am only a customer, and anything I say is worthless should Kayla decide to post after me ), I'm not sure I understand. Surpass doesn't use Fantastico, but instead uses their own version that they call Scripta (main difference seems to be that Scripta works). XOOPS is one of the programs available for installation. phpnuke is listed under cPanel, but I just assumed that was a cPanel thing, not a preference of Surpass. In the graphic associated with Scripta, XOOPS is right there in the upper left corner.

If you could give an example of what you're thinking of, I'm sure Kayla would at least give it some thought. For what it's worth, she isn't offering a free month to users of any other CMS (that I'm aware of).

John

Mithrandir

Kayla did say that she looked for hints by searching for XOOPS installations - which could be an easier job by searching for a Xoops-specific file (I don't know if the xoops.js is also used in e.g. e-xoops - but it could serve as a hint)

I just saw phpNuke listed as one of the selling points and since I don't know anything about what makes a CMS easy to provide for a hosting company, I wondered if we could do something to the installation process to accomodate this. But if they already provide it via Scripta, it may not be necessary (although it would be nice to have XOOPS listed on the Surpass homepage as well which was what I was aiming at)

CBlue

Kayla, I didn't ask for the free month because I am quite happy with surpass hosting and I prefer paying for the excellent service and excellent prices. Thank you for offering but save the money for others that may request it.

CBlue

Mithrandir,

Here is the url for their hosting pagehttp://www.surpasshosting.com/?x=hostingplans

If you look at it closely, it's a transparent looking menu, then you will see XOOPS is the first one listed.

comegona
  • 2004/5/22 14:40

• comegona

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/11/9

Hello all
Based on what I've read on this post and visiting the Surpass site I'm looking at trying it for a month. My question is if I do try for a month without modifying the DNS records to point to your server how would I be able to view the site. Since the IP is a dynamic, would that cause a problem in testing? I know I can change the mainfile.php to an IP but when the IP does changes won’t it cause a problem?

Or could it be that I have this all wrong?

MontyP
  • 2004/5/22 18:33

• MontyP

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/8/23

They have static IP's to their servers.

For the hosted plan it'd look like this:

"http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/~accountnametheygiveyou"

that'd lead to your public_html/site

jfernau
  • 2004/5/23 3:44

• jfernau

• Just popping in

Mithrandir -

The hosting forum has gotten a little hot lately, so I was going to stay away from it for awhile, but I did notice something that I hadn't seen before, and thought I'd bring it to your attention.

If you go to Surpass' hosting plan page, and scroll down, they have a list of features for cPanel (which I'm afraid isn't entirely up-to-date, Kayla!). However, what I noticed is that they now have "Xoops Portal" listed under cPanel, and it is actually a link back to xoops.org. The "other" CMS listed there is lower on the page and is not a link back to their site. In fact, the only other 2 links in the list of cPanel features is one for AW Stats and one that points to Surpassdomains. So, it looks like XOOPS is getting a little extra boost there.

It's a start anyway.

John

Login

Who's Online

187 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 187

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits