astaldaran
Theme/ template help.
  • 2004/5/9 18:45

• astaldaran

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/9 1

I read the inconplete article here about the difference between themes and templates. I understood that template is the design of the site while the theme is simply colors assinged by the css files. Is this correct?

Ok now i have a theme (i guess template too) that i want to turn into xoops. I understand replacing the content with variables (i claim to programm php;) ) but where do i find out what variable go where. I mean looking at the default gives an idea but no kind of guideline. Bascicly i need a guide to what everything does and such.

Any help would be most appreciated:)

ps: also the template has 4 potential navigation bars two on each side (well one at the top two). I understand that should beable to work but i am not sure about another template/theme which i have for my church that has only 2 nav bards. One on the side and 1 at the top. What is required in a template?

tjnemez
Re: Theme/ template help.
  • 2004/5/9 19:08

• tjnemez

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/9/21

hey astaldaran,

for the time being i would just forget about XOOPS templates. they are system templates that control the look of your modules and blocks. they should not be confused with a site theme which i believe you are referring to as a template in this case.

have a look at the themes that you can download from xoops. find one that resembles the template you have and then you may be able to edit it to your liking.

astaldaran
  • 2004/5/9 19:09

• astaldaran

• Just popping in

Also i noticed all the tables are labled, is this required? or is the only thing i need to do is replace the variables.

Thanks!

tjnemez
  • 2004/5/9 19:17

• tjnemez

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/9/21

hey astaldaran,

the labels you are referring to are related to the style.css that comes with themes. divs and tables, th(s), td(s) are given a class - .whatever or an id - #whatever.

theme.html:

<td id="whatever">your content</td>

on your style.css:

#whatever {
width : 650px;
background : #a1b4cd;
background-image : url("");
background-repeat : no-repeat;
margin : 15px 50px 0;
text-align : left;
padding : 0;
border : 1px solid #fff;

edit: yes you change the variables on the style.css

hope this helps.

astaldaran
  • 2004/5/9 21:02

• astaldaran

• Just popping in

Ok i am a little confused. I thought whever the documentation was referring to blocks it ment like a "menu" but it isn't? I am a little confused. Ok so you are saying i can go get a template and put a theme on it like this (though this is an older version it is the same design) and it will work right?

Thanks for any help. (i just want to get this clerified so i understand)

Bassman
  • 2004/5/9 22:07

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/5/23

OK I can understand that you're confused. But the best way to change how a theme looks, is to experiment with an existing theme. In your XOOPS install, you should have three existing themes: Default, phpkaox and X2T. In each theme folder you should see css files. My suggestion would be to change things in the css file for one theme (phpkaox is a good one)so you can see what effect it has on the theme, until you get an idea what each element in the css file does. If you do a search for "commented CSS" you shoyld be able to find a copy of a CSS file with comments added to assist you with what you need to change.

By the look of the theme you want to do, it shouldn't be TOO difficult.

astaldaran
  • 2004/5/9 22:12

• astaldaran

• Just popping in

Thank you very much, i will attempt to do this.

astaldaran
  • 2004/5/9 22:21

• astaldaran

• Just popping in

thanks i have been messing around with it and i think i understand now! Thank you. (goes off to edit theme)

Jools_chem
  • 2004/5/11 9:31

• Jools_chem

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/10

Thanks for this thread, its cleared a few things up for me too!

Login

Who's Online

205 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 205

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits