Big_Bro
Google Indexing
  • 2004/4/28 3:14

• Big_Bro

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/26

The good news is that Google has indexed nearly 2500 pages from my XOOPS site, http://www.google.com/search?q=allinurl:+newshax.com&num=100&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&filter=0

The bad news is that the title Google reads from these pages is the site name and module name only. Is there a way to change the module name (ex: News) to the story name of the article the link references in thes searches? I have been fortunate so far, just getting promoted to PR 7 but I am also missing out on a lot of potential visitors because most of my writing is still unindexed by title.

Basically I want to change what the SE's read from: <Site Title> - <module name> to <Site Title> - <Story title>, is that possible anywhere? Little details like these go a long way to attracting users to ones site which is the ultimate goal behind all of this!!!

karuna
Re: Google Indexing
  • 2004/4/28 3:38

• karuna

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/5/29

hi~~look these posts

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=19034&forum=15#forumpost81156

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=17666&forum=10

Big_Bro
  • 2004/4/28 4:47

• Big_Bro

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/26

Thank you Karuna, I didn't really know how to phrase that question

That is a tremendous help!

WarDick
  • 2004/4/28 7:35

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/9/13

@Big_Bro

I agree that this issue must be solved. I have several sites that are in the top 5 on a google search. Each of the sites that have a good search position results from the Top Page as the first page and not a module. The reason is the title element. On the W3C website it states the title as being the most important part of a web page. Remembering that google indexs pages and not web sites. To get a good page rank requires that the title and the content be related. The fundamental method XOOPS uses to display pages may need to be re-evaluated. The theme can be carried throughout without any problem. This is accomplished by CSS. Theme.html is great for generating an overview of the content of our sites and links to site resources. The title must be more flexible and should not include the module name. The module name is much too general and probably has little to do with the content that it is displaying. I like to use the card catalog in a library as an example. Google reads the title and uses it much like we do a card catalog to locate a book on the shelves of the library. I haven't been able to clearly see the solution but one will emerge.

tl
  • 2004/4/28 12:13

• tl

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/6/23

Assigning page_title only works if you are not using caching feature.

Xoops does not cache titles and headers, once the page has been cached, it will revert back by retrieving config info from the database instead.

bmmolloy
  • 2004/4/28 21:50

• bmmolloy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/4/21

Mine's on the first page after only 2 days of the site being live. :) the search This is with 2.0.6's built in Meta Information. Awesome.

might do a little hacking to see if I can't bump it up some.

DonXoop

I agree, XOOPS plays very well with google. But a few things of note: you should create a robots.txt file in the root dir. In that file you should list the directories that you don't want the robots to index.

Use common sense and eliminate certain content from robot indexes. For me I don't need my calendar or any content that is always changing or would be out of date quickly.

A not so nice side effect of a good google rating is that hackers find you easier too. They often look not for content but for specific directory names. Example is agendax which is easy to find and attracts the script kiddies. I hadn't yet excluded the calendar from searches and sure enough the crackers came knocking.

bmmolloy
  • 2004/4/28 22:10

• bmmolloy

• Friend of XOOPS

Good idea. making one now...

Edit: There's the template...

User-agent: *
Disallow: /cgi-bin/
Disallow: /tmp/
Disallow: /cache/
Disallow: /class/
Disallow: /images/
Disallow: /include/
Disallow: /install/
Disallow: /kernel/
Disallow: /language/
Disallow: /templates_c/
Disallow: /themes/
Disallow: /uploads/

DonXoop

That's the ticket.

You should add any modules that don't belong in the indexes:

Disallow: /modules/agendax/
Disallow: /modules/headlines/
Disallow: /modules/mylinks/
Disallow: /modules/lastposts/
Disallow: /modules/contact/
Disallow: /modules/ms_weather/
Disallow: /modules/shoutbox/
Disallow: /register.php
Disallow: /user.php
Disallow: /search.php
Disallow: /userinfo.php

etc....

PS, dump the /install directory from the drive...

bmmolloy
  • 2004/4/29 0:51

• bmmolloy

• Friend of XOOPS

Nice work. So much potential in XOOPS...

Login

Who's Online

171 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 171

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits