Vargr
The construction and contents of cookies
  • 2004/4/16 10:26

• Vargr

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/6/19

Right place?
------------
I am not sure this is the right forum to post this question, but I weren't sure where else I should post it.

Looking for:
------------
XOOPS uses cookies, that it stores on the users machine, in order to keep track of the user, what entries he has read, etc. At least as I understand it.

I would like to know how these cookies are organised - their format, where they are being produced (where in the code) and where they are being read - but I don't know where to find such information.

Why?
----
The present use of cookies seems - at least to me - to be ineffective. If I log in on one machine and read the news and then moved to another machine and log in, then it seems as if I didn't read any news at all. Having had a very brief look at the cookies left on my computer from xoops-sites, the information seems fairly short (in terms of space required to store it).
I am thus wondering if it would be possible and useful to store the cookie-information in the user's profile on the server in stead on some random computer somewhere, that the user might never access again.

Disclaimer
----------
I have no understanding of how these things work (that's why I am looking for some information in the firste place) and I am sure that the chosen solution (the cookies) was chosen for a reason. Just wondering - and hoping - it could be made smarter seen from the point of view of the user.

Vargr
Re: The construction and contents of cookies
  • 2004/4/16 23:29

• Vargr

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/6/19

* BUMP *

Daigoro
Re: The construction and contents of cookies
  • 2004/4/16 23:51

• Daigoro

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/7/3 2

First of all, this has to do with the newbb module.

I'm sure cookies was choosen because they can be stored and retrived on the machine even if the user is logged in or not.

Natually this is a problematic approach if the machine is shared with others, but since it's common that only one person uses one computer, then it makes sence.

If the same information was stored in the database, then you would have to log in before starting to read the news. And if you away from the computer for the timeout-period, then you would have to log in again, or the computer would start to look like a virgin again.

A combination of the two approaches might be possible, but it's problematic.

There could be a cookie that was updated from the database everytime you logged in.
Or the database could be updated from the cookie every time you loged in.
It's even possible to have a combination of the two.

However, there would still be problems where more then one person uses the same computer. And these problems may be worse then the problems allready pressent?

Regards,

Login

Who's Online

242 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 242

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits